Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:54 PM   #1

Default Doh!

Subtitle - I was never a boy scout.

On Saturday my son and I were going up to London to see a film at the South Bank (where the London Eye is situated). And as the traffic can often be very heavy I wanted to leave with plenty of time. Which we did. And as we would hopefully have some time before the film started, I took my camera and tripod. After all, surely there would be a photo opportunity for this months challenge.
So after walking through the Christmas market, past the merry-go-round, check the movement on the Thames, I decided I had a few ideas. Now to put them into practise.

So I set up the tripod, swapped the 70-300,, for the 18-55mm, attached camera to tripod and switched the camera on. Slight problem - dead battery and, not being prepared, I hadn't brought a spare!

Swapped back the lenses, collapsed tripod, put back in boot of car.

At least I enjoyed the film.

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:57 PM   #2

We all have those "Homer Simpson" moments.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:04 PM   #3

If I don't do that, I do something like forget the attachment for my tripod on shots I really need the tripod.

I'm trying to be better about making sure I have everything when I leave.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:11 PM   #4

A couple of summers ago, I went to pick up our god-daughter who was doing some conservation work in the Great Smoky Mountains. It's about a 300 mile trip (one way). I just KNEW there'd be some spectacular photo ops so I went prepared with my best camera (at the time). While I was waiting for her, I got out of the car to snap some photos of their base camp. After the first two shots... you guessed it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:20 PM   #5

last time i did that i was climbing down steep rocky bank to a river - setup tripod got my shot composed perfectly in liveview got teh exposure spot on with the histogram - attached remote trigger release pushed the button........ no memory card.....DOHH!!!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:38 PM   #6

Too many of those situations in the past. When my son was a cub scout he won the pinewood derby. After taking pictures all day and during the awards ceremony, as they were calling out my son's name, my camera shut down. It was a sickening feeling. A big reason I went with the k-x was the use of AA batteries.
Osnap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:39 PM   #7

I'm always forgetting something! I think I would be really unhappy about your situation, though - losing such a wonderful opportunity. My last doh! moment wasn't nearly so drastic. I had walked a third of a mile dragging along tripod, camera and IR set-up. Only to discover the camera didn't have the L-bracket to attach it to the tripod. It wasn't fatal as I could just rest the camera on the QR plate and get reasonably blur-free pictures at about 1 sec. shutter speeds. But it was frustrating to think I had gone to all that trouble, only to have forgotten something...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:50 PM   #8

Hah!

I solved this problem by making up a foolproof checklist of everything that I could possibly need to do a shoot. . .

. . .then I forgot where I put the checklist. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:35 PM   #9

I have several 'foolproof' checklists...somewhere...giggle
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:44 PM   #10

i find the battery grip for the k-7/5 is a huge help - means for one that can go a long time without recharging - since i do recharge often that means since i have it set to use the grip battery first that the battery in the camera is nearly always full and ready to go - i also have the option to use aa batteries if needed and in the li-ion battery tray for the grip there is a place to put a spare memory card incase i've forgotten to put the main one back after downloading images from it

well worth it for the forgetfull person - its already saved me once on th ememory card issue since i got it and the extra battery life it very handy too
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote