Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
I like the effect, it reminds me of a print (is it a woodcut I am thinking of I wonder) with the intricate pattern of the branches near the centre accentuated by the extreme sharpening.
I agree with Ira on the appeal of the shot - those intricate interlaced branches. Maybe crop an 8x10 of that section only as an abstract ?

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
I am in an Arctic desert so you probably get more snow in the year than we do, the difference is that once it falls here it doesn't go away. A blizzard here has very little new snow, it just moves arond all of the snow already on the ground.
Interesting...so the snow that's there has been there since the Earth was formed?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Woke up this morning to winter (at least this time they had predicted it).

The view out my upstairs window:

Wow, what a view from your window...great captures!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:32 PM   #14

Great snow shots. That is a lovely view from your window!

I like the forest picture but not the Topaz effect. It is a little too harsh for my taste.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:57 PM   #15

I keep forgetting that summer is over, it was 80* today and I have the AC on.
I keep telling myself that I'm not all that keen on B&W photos but, out of all your shots, that's the one that struck me the most.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I keep forgetting that summer is over, it was 80* today and I have the AC on.
I keep telling myself that I'm not all that keen on B&W photos but, out of all your shots, that's the one that struck me the most.

I didn't forget that summer is over....not at all. In fact I was out with the snowblower for about 90 minutes yesterday.

It went down to about 19 below during the weekend and we also got about 6-8 inches of snow over the past few days...more to come.

It's a dry cold, though.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:33 PM   #17

Now it's getting interesting about that last one. I still can't decide - sometimes I look at it and like it, other times I don't. It does have a wood-cutter type look (I was thinking something similar when I came up with it). It's actually a blend of two layers - one "natural" and one with the Topaz Labs stylistic effect (which I thought was interesting, but too over-the-top. And I did cheat - while it's pretty representative of the national forest around here, it's actually my backyard (which if you are being polite can be described as "natural" - or rather, ignored. Gardening is knocking down the weeds/wild grass that attempts to grow under the pinon pines a couple of times a year).

P.S. Les - My hubby says he doesn't miss Manitoba winters at all. He much prefers our days that often get up to the 50s and 60s and where the snow melts before it gets that dirty grey look to it.

Last edited by mtngal; Nov 22, 2010 at 10:36 PM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Now it's getting interesting about that last one. I still can't decide - sometimes I look at it and like it, other times I don't. It does have a wood-cutter type look (I was thinking something similar when I came up with it). It's actually a blend of two layers - one "natural" and one with the Topaz Labs stylistic effect (which I thought was interesting, but too over-the-top. And I did cheat - while it's pretty representative of the national forest around here, it's actually my backyard (which if you are being polite can be described as "natural" - or rather, ignored. Gardening is knocking down the weeds/wild grass that attempts to grow under the pinon pines a couple of times a year).

P.S. Les - My hubby says he doesn't miss Manitoba winters at all. He much prefers our days that often get up to the 50s and 60s and where the snow melts before it gets that dirty grey look to it.
I knew your husband was from Canada....didn't realize he was from the Keystone province. Was he a Winterpegger ?

It is cold in the winter though and I wouldn't mind a winter that has temps of 50-60 +...but I find I'm outside a lot....dressed for it...I find the Pentax equipment takes the winter here, easily in stride....no malfunctions since 1969....when my shutter froze open, in Saskatchewan on my 1968 Pentax SLR (S1a)...an hour in a warm room...got it working again.

Les
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:10 PM   #19

He grew up mostly in Flin Flon, had family in Minnedosa. He says at the time he was growing up, Flin Flon was about the end of the road, not much beyond it. While I've been to Winnepeg and driven Hwy 16 across to where his family lives now (near Terrace, B.C. - what beautiful country around there!), I haven't been further north in Manitoba. Would love to explore the region sometime - in summer, that is...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:04 PM   #20

Quote:
He grew up mostly in Flin Flon, had family in Minnedosa. He says at the time he was growing up, Flin Flon was about the end of the road, not much beyond it. While I've been to Winnepeg and driven Hwy 16 across to where his family lives now (near Terrace, B.C. - what beautiful country around there!), I haven't been further north in Manitoba. Would love to explore the region sometime - in summer, that is...

I've always loved the name and the story behind how Flin Flon got it's name... also ....lot's of opportunity for fishing and photographs.

Minnedosa is a lovely town, close to Riding Mountain National Park. Some of my wife's family came from Minnedosa.

I've only been to Northern Manitoba twice. Once .....in January... ....it was about 20 below....not too bad...the other time in July....it was about 75 + F....very nice temp.

During the summer visit , we flew by Bush Plane with floats, to an isolated lake that my wife's Grandfather, an early Bush pilot, had landed (Bush plane with skis- winter) in 1931.

It was isolated (splendid isolation ), very blue water, quite beautiful and fishing apparently was astounding (I didn't have my fishing rod with me), very quiet.

As your husband has probably told you Manitoba has a wide range of topography ranging from Canadian Shield, Boreal forest, flat to rolling prairies and of course as our license plates proclaim...100,000 lakes.

Les