Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:51 PM   #1

Default California Morning

Woke up this morning to winter (at least this time they had predicted it).

The view out my upstairs window:

Looking in a different direction:

I mentioned in another thread that when it snows we have to clean off the snow from the dish. This morning was no exception:

All right, I have to try something different to capture the feel of snow:

I really like the pictures Ned posts of his Finnish forests. They are so different than ours. I tried to take a picture of our type of forest but thought it failed miserably, a very boring picture. So I started playing with it and some of Topaz Lab's plugins (I ended up buying their whole suite when down in Del Mar last week). I came up with this and I can't decide if I think it's rather cool or as stupid as the original. It is definitely not my normal type of photograph. So I'd very much like to know what you all think of it - do you really hate this and this type of thing? Or are you intrigued with it? Let me know.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:58 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Just beautiful and very nicely captured...can't wait myself to do some winterscapes. I find #4 especially appealing! BTW, any trouble with the Direct TV this morning???
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:14 PM   #3

Great scenery, and well captured.
Have to admit that the last photo doesn't quite grab me. Not absolutely certain why, perhaps it's just too black and white for me! That said I do like the effect of the 13mm, it frames the photo really well.

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:22 PM   #4

I am in an Arctic desert so you probably get more snow in the year than we do, the difference is that once it falls here it doesn't go away. A blizzard here has very little new snow, it just moves arond all of the snow already on the ground.

The images of the snow on the distant hills are really nice. The last image has a feel of "cold" to it so I would call it a success.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Nov 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:46 PM   #5

It was cold enough for snow this morning, but no moisture. Although, by Thursday/Friday we may have a little, if the forecast is right.

I can't decide if I like the last one or not. It's kind of like some photos I take that you feel something when you're looking at the scene, but when you capture it, it loses that magic.

I do like the first one with the folds in the mountain, although it looks like the clouds are a little blown out. Can you just select the sky and darken it some?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:15 PM   #6

Directv worked great as soon as I wiped off the dish. When we first moved up here the dish was mounted at the top of the house, totally out of reach without a very long ladder. A couple of storms and we had it moved, works great now.

Patty - the clouds are very blown out in the first one, darkening the sky won't recover much so I didn't try all that hard. It's one of the things I find frustrating about the K7 - you don't have much latitude. Probably should have shot a series and tried HDR.

Seems that the consensus is that the last one doesn't work. I'm sure part of it is that the original was a dumb picture, but the extreme type of processing (one of Topaz Lab's plugins) didn't help, perhaps made it worse. I thought it was more interesting than the original, but it still doesn't work. Goes to show that a poor picture is going to be a poor picture, even with good processing. And this processing was suspect, wasn't sure about it. Thanks for the honest replies, that's what I was looking for.

Does anyone have any other thoughts to offer about it?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:20 PM   #7

I like the effect, it reminds me of a print (is it a woodcut I am thinking of I wonder) with the intricate pattern of the branches near the centre accentuated by the extreme sharpening.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:01 PM   #8

We've yet to have our first snow (except for a few flurries), so thanks for the preview!

I also like the "old woodcut" effect of the last one - think it would look even better at a larger size...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:15 PM   #9

I like the rolling topography...the subtle lighting and the detail of # 1....also the composition appeals to me.

# 4 .....I really liked this one.....the snow lined trees...vertical picture enhances an already lovely picture...monochromatic and stark...that's good...this picture made me think of the movie classic...White Christmas....I know it's the opposite coast....but that's what popped into my feverish little mind....

What a view you have.....that's envy speaking.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:44 AM   #10

Great shots, really not the California we see here on tv.