Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:04 PM   #1

Default Pentax K5- my limited experience

I tried out a Pentax K5 with the 16-50mm Pentax lens at the local camera store.

I was picking up an Xmas present for my wife to get me ...a Pentax Optio W90...outdoor, underwater point and shoot. I can harly wait to try this robust, little unit out.

Back to the K5. Wow. Heavy, extremely well built, feels very solid.

Couldn't believe how fast and QUIET.... that 16-50 focused on the K5. It was press the shutter button and in a nano second the lens was focused.

I love my K10D and KM, but they are in a different century in this regard.

High ISO's...I like everything about this camera in the brief 10 minutes I was working with it.

I did want a Canon 5D, Mk. 11 F....but after handling the K5....this is my new focus in equipment.

I also found out from the dealer that the Pentax 645 digital is available in Canada now....a little over 10 Grand CAD.

Let's see...should I continue to pay for my kid's University tuition or get the 645D and K5...hmmmnnn.

Easy answer...I'm a father first, a photographer second.

But maybe in a year or so I'll be able to swing a K5.

I'm very impressed.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:59 PM   #2

OK, OK already! I want one, you don't have to keep rubbing it in!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
OK, OK already! I want one, you don't have to keep rubbing it in!
GW,

I've got a solution...how about we go halfers on it.....and because there is such a great mileage distance between Canada and Florida....you use it for years 3+4 and I'll use it for years 1 + 2....sounds like a good deal to me.

Les
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:46 PM   #4

Les, I know the feeling. I don't (yet) yearn for the 645 but I'd love to get the K5 and a couple high end lenses. But right now I have 2 kids in college, a mortgage, car payments, etc etc etc. For the next several years, the K5 will have to wait.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5

The 645 is really an awesome camera - beautifully balanced and the ergonomics for such a big camera excellent. It's not as heavy as I expected when I first saw it. It really surprised me. While I sure wouldn't turn it down if someone were to offer me one for free, it's not a camera in my sights. I'm focused on the K5, I really want.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Les, I know the feeling. I don't (yet) yearn for the 645 but I'd love to get the K5 and a couple high end lenses. But right now I have 2 kids in college, a mortgage, car payments, etc etc etc. For the next several years, the K5 will have to wait.
I have a feeling that if I get a K5, it will be the same way I got my K10D. I bought it in Nov., 2007, when the price dropped significantly as the K20D was coming out in Jan., 2008.

End of production run...cheaper, may not be the latest....but economics dictate.

Les