Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:53 AM   #1

Default 2 from tonight

Went out in the cold and ice tonight (love it) knowing that i could set up a tripod in the middle of the street w/o worries. Here are a couple of the results. Both shot with a Vivitar 70-300 lens at f16. The tree is a 15 second exposure, the moon/tree a 20 second one. Both were heavily tweaked with Topaz Detail 2 and InFocus and may be too artificial looking for some. I think it works with these. Comments and criticisms welcome, not my usual style of shooting.

John
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:39 AM   #2

I kind of like the mood of #1 (moon/tree)...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:54 PM   #3

I really like #1. I think it's the way the upper parts of the branches are lit by the moon.
Really nice

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:18 PM   #4

I agree, I like #1also.
Nothing wrong with #2, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:40 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I agree #1 is better. Like I said, this is well outside of what I normally shoot. I have a couple others from last night I might post as well, just experiments, I really have no idea what I'm doing on shots like these Looking at #2 the branches sticking out on the left side of the tree are what I should've been seeing, could be an interesting shot with just those. Maybe tonight.....

John
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6

John, I think my biggest problem was having to scrool up and down to see the whole image. When I shrunk it down to where I could see the whole thing, I like it better. Still, I'm not sure what it needs to make it, perhaps its composition. maybe if you re-shot it with the trunk a bit more to the right of the frame... I'm just guessing, I'm not great on composition myself so I shouldn't be critiquing others but, that's my 2cents... for what its worth.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:06 PM   #7

Thanks. I'll take all the advice I can get. I know what I'm doing when it comes to birds, bugs and macro. Stuff like this, it's all new to me still. Maybe the next clear night I'll try some more ideas.

John
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:37 PM   #8

Really like the first one, that's actually a more difficult shot than it looks. I've got no suggestion about improving the second one. There are a couple of trees that have dramatic night lighting around work. I've tried a couple of times to capture them and haven't managed a good shot yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Really like the first one, that's actually a more difficult shot than it looks. I've got no suggestion about improving the second one. There are a couple of trees that have dramatic night lighting around work. I've tried a couple of times to capture them and haven't managed a good shot yet.
My girlfriend goes on walks and takes pic after pic of trees with her P&S and they are great. I try the same thing and nothing. She's in tune with them and I'm not I guess I may keep trying with these but I prefer the moon & tree shots anyway so I may just stick with that. Moon and weather permitting of course.

John
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:33 AM   #10

I had the same experience - I took a similar sort of picture to your first one with my first digital camera, a Sony F717. It was really awesome. So when I got a dSLR, I tried the same shot, thinking I could improve on it. Nope - the small dof of the dslr got in the way, how the camera saw the light/dark didn't work as well, couldn't quite manage to get the light as well, etc. etc. That's why I mentioned that the shot was more difficult than some might think, and I thought your picture was quite effective.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote