Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Outstanding, Ronny!
all the more reason to get the K-5.
The shot with the Heron's wing just slicing the water is pretty cool.
Hard to believe the IQ at these ISO's
Thanks GW,

those ISO's are what I needed with the gorgeous weather we have over here in the authumn.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I like the last two...great stop action...K5...lucky fellow!
Thanks Les,

got the 3rd one that appeared in my neigborhood, (was checking all the on line sellers if they had them in stock)
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
not sure actually - think it might just be blur from panning - if shutter speed speed had been fractionally higher i think it might be in focus - if you look along the trailing edge of the wing you can see that the dof effect and seems sharpest at the center line of the bird - subjective i know and really impossible to tell for sure - either way that first shot would be excelent if it was abit sharper - love the wingtip trailing in the water
John, thanks for the advice, next time I'll go more for 1/500sec and hopefully get all of them sharp.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Excellent Ronny. Especially the Pano and the last !

January seems a long way away before I can get my K5 (unless my invoices get paid early) !
Thanks FF

It's only one month, I'm sure you'll survive.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooked View Post
You are hurting me in the wallet. Looks like the K% will catch BIF,s in lower light then needed for my K7.

Nice shooting and thanks for posting (not from my wallet!)

Will be interesting to see what you get in better light, this camera looks to add shooting time to your day.

Ed
Thanks Ed,

couldn't have said it better, wouldn't have tried to get these shots with my k20. (don't missunderstand it's still a great camera but it needs more light)
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithw View Post
As someone who finds bif-shots all but impossible, I'm really impressed with these shots. Especially as they were part of a 5 second burst.

The K5 looks better and better every time I see examples. Methinks I'm going to have to either rob a bank or start saving!
Keith don't talk so lightly about .... a bank, big brother is watching

ps: I've taken about 4 bif's shots that I thougt where good enough (for me) to keep, I wasn't even trying anymore but now ... something new to pursue
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
If the stitched pano is an indication the situation is made worse by over-cropping the photos - with the subject being too far away for critical focus. So it's a combination of slow shutter speed and being too far away for accurate focus I think that contributed to the softness.
Thanks John, I already decided to keep the shutter speed higher, only getting closer will be more difficult.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:45 PM   #18

Great job...!

Especially since you've just started using the new camera...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
If the stitched pano is an indication the situation is made worse by over-cropping the photos - with the subject being too far away for critical focus. So it's a combination of slow shutter speed and being too far away for accurate focus I think that contributed to the softness.
Hi Ronny,

I agree that the extreme crop and shutter speed contribute to some softness, but not necessarily that accurate focus was missed.

Consider the triangular shape of any angular displacement of the camera. The farther away the subject, the greater the relative movement of the subject to the camera, with a correspondingly increased effect to the appearance of sharpness of the subject.

For GBH at a distance, my usual eyeball gauge for focus accuracy is the pupil of the eye and the dark circle surrounding the eye (also the shape and distinct appearance of the claws if they're visible). If these are all pretty distinct, then I consider the focus to be as close as I'm going to be able to manage, and any softness is probably due to subject movement. Even with large birds like the GBH, it's almost impossible to get real feather detail at more than about 20 feet handheld, even shooting at 500mm+ with relatively fast shutter speeds. 1/1.5xFL isn't even close to adequate without a whole lot of luck.

Considering that at about 15-16 m (50-55 feet, the DOF at 250mm and f8 is only a bit under 1.2m (3.8 ft), and an adult GBH has a wingspan of about 2m (6 ft), I'd say the focus was pretty much spot on, and the body was easily within the DOF which is about all one can expect. At about 20m (66 feet) or over, the DOF probably would include both wings and the body. Given the relatively large focus points of the Pentax 11 point system and the relative size of the subject to the entire frame at this distance, it would be difficult to be much more discriminating for AF accuracy, especially with a moving subject.

I say a good job by both the photographer and camera.

I think the both the K-7 and K-5 are probably at least adequate for the great majority of shooters for this task. The K20 also works better than most probably think, but the considerably longer VF blackout times make this type of shooting more difficult.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Today again a gray day, normally I wouldnít even try to go out to get a bird picture.

But I hadnít checked the k-5 out with a telelens so packed everything up and at work during the dinner break took a walk around the campus.

Found two herons, so time to check how good the fast focus en hi-speed shooting was.

The camera was on TAV mode, iso automatic 160->12800, lens sigma 100-300f4 ex apo if.

First 3 pictures are from a set where 25pictures, taken in less than 5sec, as dng.

Only two of them werenít usable, both out of focus, the first one was focussed on the water, and the second was thru a scrub.
Excellent work. Ronny
You have not mentioned. I believe you were doing AF-C track focusing the birds in motion. It seems K5 focus tracking is a lot better in AF.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote