Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:44 PM   #1

Default K5 bif Im flabergasted

Today again a gray day, normally I wouldn’t even try to go out to get a bird picture.

But I hadn’t checked the k-5 out with a telelens so packed everything up and at work during the dinner break took a walk around the campus.

Found two herons, so time to check how good the fast focus en hi-speed shooting was.

The camera was on TAV mode, iso automatic 160->12800, lens sigma 100-300f4 ex apo if.

First 3 pictures are from a set where 25pictures, taken in less than 5sec, as dng.

Only two of them weren’t usable, both out of focus, the first one was focussed on the water, and the second was thru a scrub.

#1 – this is a 100% crop of one – 250.0mm | f/8.0 | Exposure Time: 0.0029 s (1/350) | ISO equiv: 3200
I redid this images (sharpening & stuff) after seeing shoturtles great post prod. on the image a bit later in this post

#2 – 250mm | f/8.0 | 0.0029 s (1/350) | 3200

#3 – while post processing I wanted to try what snooked did a while back – 250mm | f/8.0 | 0.0029 s (1/350) | ISO equiv: 4500
Best check the larger version by clicking on the image.

#4 – 280mm | f/8.0 | 0.0020 s (1/500) | ISO equiv: 4500
must have changed the shutterspeed by accident.

These are my best heron in flight shots ever, and then to think that the light was anything but perfect, the iso’s are 3200 or 4500.
I don’t know any other way to put it, but I’m flabergasted.

Ronny

(ps, I know I had to go to a lower f stop but ... they only flew away from me in those shots)

Last edited by rhermans; Dec 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:06 PM   #2

The first 2 was a little OOF, but the last one is much better.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:24 PM   #3

Outstanding, Ronny!
all the more reason to get the K-5.
The shot with the Heron's wing just slicing the water is pretty cool.
Hard to believe the IQ at these ISO's

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:36 PM   #4

I like the last two...great stop action...K5...lucky fellow!
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
not sure actually - think it might just be blur from panning - if shutter speed speed had been fractionally higher i think it might be in focus - if you look along the trailing edge of the wing you can see that the dof effect and seems sharpest at the center line of the bird - subjective i know and really impossible to tell for sure - either way that first shot would be excelent if it was abit sharper - love the wingtip trailing in the water
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:52 AM   #6

Excellent Ronny. Especially the Pano and the last !

January seems a long way away before I can get my K5 (unless my invoices get paid early) !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:57 AM   #7

You are hurting me in the wallet. Looks like the K% will catch BIF,s in lower light then needed for my K7.

Nice shooting and thanks for posting (not from my wallet!)

Will be interesting to see what you get in better light, this camera looks to add shooting time to your day.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:02 AM   #8

As someone who finds bif-shots all but impossible, I'm really impressed with these shots. Especially as they were part of a 5 second burst.

The K5 looks better and better every time I see examples. Methinks I'm going to have to either rob a bank or start saving!

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
not sure actually - think it might just be blur from panning - if shutter speed speed had been fractionally higher i think it might be in focus - if you look along the trailing edge of the wing you can see that the dof effect and seems sharpest at the center line of the bird - subjective i know and really impossible to tell for sure - either way that first shot would be excelent if it was abit sharper - love the wingtip trailing in the water
If the stitched pano is an indication the situation is made worse by over-cropping the photos - with the subject being too far away for critical focus. So it's a combination of slow shutter speed and being too far away for accurate focus I think that contributed to the softness.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post

The fact that it's almost in focus is propably more a result of my inexperience with bif's than the camera's.

I hope the weather will improve fast enough to try this with light