Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:54 PM   #1

Default What are your favourite subjects to take pictures + why ?

When my kids were young...taking pictures of them was my # 1 favourite subject.

They're adults now...and no grandchildren yet.....so the family pictures have declined.

I've always liked to take pictures of vintage cars, old motorcycles and trucks. Still do so this type of pix is still near the top for me.

Some new favourites:

• The last few years I've been taking pictures of country landscapes...everything from forest pix, to bodies of water...to rolling and flat as a ruler prairie.
  • Flora...individual flowers, etc. - everything from subjects in my wife's garden, to professional gardens at city parks. Lately I've taken a real interest in the underside of mushrooms and next summer, with my new Pentax W 90 (outdoor camera with underwater ability)...the underside of lily pads and in general lake and pond life....under the surface. Quite excited about this prospect, actually.
  • Old buildings from the usual dilapidated barns to down town office buildings built in the 1870's to around WW 1. I live in an older city in the Canadian West and we have some interesting architecture...some of it very similar to Chicago of that time period. I'm told some of the architects that designed buildings...in the late 1800's, early 1900's... were Chicago based...although being a layman...I really don't know for sure. We also have some examples of buildings with individual designs done by Scottish masons in this time period. Lot's of stuff and fascinating for me.
Being retired and the father of adult children, gives me a lot more time then many I realize...so I'm trying to make use of my good fortune (time) to click away.

Anyway what subjects...old and new for you....do you favour....and why ?

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:36 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

For me, the subject is aircraft; the only reason I can think of is that is some sort of ...obsession...insanity...mental issue

I also enjoy landscapes perhaps because of my yearning to travel and explore.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:08 PM   #3

i would say cars but im just learning so i take alot of pics of different types of stuff
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:12 PM   #4

Any photo opportunity will do, I really don't have a favorite. It's more what I can think of and get to. The easiest is macro's because you don't have to walk far and it's easy to do during dinner breaks at work. Last years I had gotten disinterested in birding but with the K5 that is changing.

People (not in groups) are my worst subjects, and what I do the least, and anything transportation (trains, planes and automobiles) don't really interest me.

But that can change to ...
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:38 PM   #5

Default Intersting

For me... since 1976, my old favorite thing to shoot.

and

In the past year, my interests have changed to.

and

and

Never too old to teach a dog new tricks.

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com

Last edited by EddyinGA; Nov 25, 2010 at 8:41 PM.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:06 PM   #6

hmm landscapes and wildlife are always nice - do like airshows too though and think some of my best photos have been from them
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:10 PM   #7

Well,

I like doing candid people pictures, using shallow DOF to separate individuals fro the background looks very cool to me.

I like shooting details on cars, I have always been a car fan but find that snapshots of cars are rather boring so I look for the details. Last year it was hood scoops and hood pins on muscle cars.

I like vertical landscapes since I am hopeless at the standard horizontal landscape, this is a natural with a wide enough lens, and

I really like run down buildings, here it is the "texture of decay" that I enjoy, especially in black and white.

Eddy, that is quite a significant shift of "focus"!!!
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Nov 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:21 PM   #8

i would quite like to try some portrait/fashion shots but dont have the kit for it and not sur ei want to pay a model just so i can take afew photo's (yes will happily drops thousands on equipment but dont wanna pay up for afew hours time from a model )
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
i would quite like to try some portrait/fashion shots but dont have the kit for it and not sur ei want to pay a model just so i can take afew photo's (yes will happily drops thousands on equipment but dont wanna pay up for afew hours time from a model )
John, I have yet to pay a model one single dime to shoot them.

PM me, and I'll give you some tips on how to do the same thing.

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:01 PM   #10

I'm more like Ronny - what I shoot changes depending on what I feel like, what opportunities are around and what I'm doing.

I'm horrible at portraits or anything staged/still life and avoid both.

I love landscape and travel, used to do lots of macro but haven't recently. I'll shoot surfing if I go to the beach (a couple of times a year) and the surf is up. I'll do some street photography, but it's not something I practice and since I'm not good shooting people, I have a low keeper rate. Architecture is fun. New (to me) ideas/techniques. Birds/wildlife if I can find them (not often).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote