Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:48 PM   #1

Default Couple from a magic place...

Couple weeks ago we went to Disney for vacation. I had debated beforehand whether I wanted to lug around my camera or not but I was convinced to do so by a friend and I'm glad I did. The disney photographers didn't really get that great shots, even though they are setup with tripods waiting for folks to ask them to take their picture to be added to the photo-pass, also because it would cost a little more than I would want to spend for the photos they took. Anyway... I'm pretty happy with most of the my photos overall and we had a great time as well. My kids are 3, 5, and 7 years old and they were in heaven. The weather was perfect, what more can you ask for. Anyway, to the photos. Happened to catch this one of the castle at the Magic Kingdom while they were lighting it up so I waited and snapped this. Was handheld as I wasn't about to cart around a tripod on my vacation to a theme park.

And this shot is from the left if you were looking at the castle from the front.

Hope you enjoyed this little bit of magic.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:36 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Look like postcards Mike...very nicely done!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:38 PM   #3

Nice work, Mike!
You should have given me a shout and I would have met up with you and bought you a cup of Java. Its always nice to meet other forum members when you get a chance.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Look like postcards Mike...very nicely done!
Thanks jelpee, I wasn't worried so much about getting spectacular shots so much as trying to enjoy my time there with the kids. It was also very busy even though it's the slower time of the year so I was trying not to get crowds of people in my shots. I think they still came out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Nice work, Mike!
You should have given me a shout and I would have met up with you and bought you a cup of Java. Its always nice to meet other forum members when you get a chance.
If I'm down again in the near future I will definitely do that. Didn't really think about connecting with anyone this time were pretty much busy from the time we got there until we left. Got up in the morning, had breakfast, made our way to a park, spent the day at the park, came back to the resort, at dinner, then I ended up going back to epcot, magic kingdom and hollywood studios for one of the night shows like IllumiNations at Epcot, the Electrical Parade at the Magic Kingdom and the Osborne Family Spectacle of Christmas Lights at Hollywood Studios. My time was pretty filled up. Haha. Although, when I find out the dates, I might return in May for one of the Star Wars weekends with my son. We'll have to wait and see about that.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:47 PM   #5

Sounds like you had your hands full, Mike!
You also had a bunch of photo op's too.
If you do get down this way again, it'd sure be an honor to meet you.
One of the great things about the fall in Florida is the weather.
Its one time of the year we can enjoy the outdoors in comfort.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:01 PM   #6

I took a table-top tripod to disney downtown this past week. they have flat-top garbage cans that are perfect tripod bases. lots of them I heard a guy complain with swear words that his $2000 camera wouldn't work right! i guess he didn't want to spend $15 on a small tripod. Here's one result:
http://www.blog.holdingsteady.com/wp...1/DSC05155.jpg
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Sounds like you had your hands full, Mike!
You also had a bunch of photo op's too.
If you do get down this way again, it'd sure be an honor to meet you.
One of the great things about the fall in Florida is the weather.
Its one time of the year we can enjoy the outdoors in comfort.
Already plans to go back in 5 years so we'll probably go again around the same time of year. Might even make it down there in May for Star Wars weekend. Have to wait and see about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I took a table-top tripod to disney downtown this past week. they have flat-top garbage cans that are perfect tripod bases. lots of them I heard a guy complain with swear words that his $2000 camera wouldn't work right! i guess he didn't want to spend $15 on a small tripod. Here's one result:
http://www.blog.holdingsteady.com/wp...1/DSC05155.jpg
Haha, well, that's what always kills me about people who spend mad money for a good camera. They think it'll make them a pro. I've chatted with guys I work with who asked me about my camera and wanted to upgrade. I've made it pretty clear that if they are going to invest in that kind of camera that they should expect to also invest some time and learn about photography a bit and understand how to use it to get the most out of it.

Even though I didn't bring a tripod I still got a lot of good shots at Disney, I don't really regret not having it. I do have a tabletop tripod but my Sigma lens is too heavy and makes it fall over all the time. I decided to go light with the camera and just bring it with my 24-135mm. I didn't feel like lugging my lenses and stuff. My main objective was to enjoy the trip with the family and shoot photos 2nd.

Here are a couple more:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_umpx8wTz0FI/TO...2/_IGP6828.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_umpx8wTz0FI/TO...0/_IGP6953.jpg
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:46 PM   #8

Very clever idea with the trashcan/table top tripod - maybe if I ever get to Disneyland I'll take a camera and a tripod myself. In the past all my Disneyland photos turned out very boring, and I don't bother taking one. But it might be fun one of these days, the first one is an excellent night picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
... My main objective was to enjoy the trip with the family and shoot photos 2nd. ...
not to be forgotten that we do this stuff for fun. family is fun too.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote