Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:00 PM   #1

Default Episode 3 DIY Light Box

I played around a little today with my project.
I abandoned the heavy cloth bag from the Toro and went with some light muslin fabric I had on hand. In the first photo, you can see I removed everything from the black plastic housing that will hold the 540 flash, and the support rods that connect from the holder to the defuser frame.

Here you can see how I used the pop rivets to attach the rods to the holder. I'm still contemplating on what method I'll use to connect the rods to the defused frame.

I talked my wife into letting me use her sewing machine and I drew a pattern and cut it out and sewed it together. here's a couple shots showing the tent over the framework. When its done, it will be stretched tight. These are just to give an idea of how it will look.

Here's a shot with 540 in place

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:21 PM   #2

Very nice.....I wish I had your resourceful mind and ability to make things. I recall your BBQ on wheels (towable).

I have a feeling you have designed and made a lot of fascinating and useful items over the years.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:34 PM   #3

Hi GW,

Nice!

The only thing I'd worry about is the stress all that weight would have on the flash's head and base. I'd consider rigging a support for the light box alone and just letting the flash sit supported by its head if the fitting is tight enough.

I also think that you need to make the sides of the box opaque with reflective surfaces inside so the light only comes out of the front of the box.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:00 PM   #4

Hey Les, Thank you very much for your complements.
I have made quite a few things over the years but, I've been limited in doing what I really want to do by the lack of funds. I think I could have been a wealthy man if I had the opportunity to put some of my imagination into production. but that's another story.

Hey Scott, Yes, I agree on all accounts.
#1. When I get closer to the finished product, I'll find the balance point and make a mounting bracket that will allow it to be mounted on a light stand with little or no stress on the flash head.
#2. Will solve the last two problems by using a can of spray dye to make the outer surface black and lining the inside with a reflective material that will also be opaque to prevent light spill.
I'm still deciding on what to use. I'm going to try using a spray contact adhesive to attach a sheet of aluminum foil to a scrap piece of cloth and see how that turns out. otherwise, I'll use a silver windshield sun screen, like what's in the background. Its both light weight and opaque. This whole thing is subject to change without notice. And it could end up in the trash and I'll start over.

Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:00 PM   #5

Me thinks you've got much to much place and time to experiment with those light box's.

They do look great.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:43 PM   #6

You're right Ronny, way too much time and not enough money!

Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
You're right Ronny, way too much time and not enough money!
Ah but you have the necessary skills.

Me? I do DIY with two left feet!

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote