Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Nice little tripod, Ronny.
I really like the results too!
Great shots. That's one nice lens.
I've been wanting a table top for quite some time now.
I picked up a used one last year but promptly broke it trying to tighten the ball-head. That's going to be one of my DIY projects real soon!
Thanks GW, if you start from scratch this tripod must be easy to reproduce.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
and if the pentax lcd would have folded out, like sony, it would be even easier. these small ergonomic changes would make an already great camera even better.
Yep, would love to have a folding lcd screen, but the quality of the screen (and viewing angle) have improved a lot lately that I don't think I'll need it that much.

A better contrast autofocus would be great, imho the sony a33/55 have te best live view autofocus I've ever seen.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
It's obviously working nicely. I have a Manfrotto tabletop that's OK if you are very careful - it was bought for an ultrazoom and really too light-weight for a dSLR with the Viv. I also have a gorillapod and haven't been happy with it as a table-top. It's fine for wrapping the legs around something, but the joints slip and pretty soon it's splayed out flat.
That Manfrotto tabletop does looks great, (one of those I didn't try ), I've got the same problem with the gorillapod. I wish there was a way to fasten those joints.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
The best table top tripod I ever used ..and used to have...think I lost it...was my Minolta Table Top.

It was metal, very strong, very well balanced. It was a copy of the Leitz Table Top. ack around the '70's and '80's, Minolta had a business arrangement with Leica.

My wife and I went to Europe in the '80's and I took my Pentax ES11 and K1000 ...used to set the cameras on the tripod , low on the floor...have a 28 mm Takumar wide angle on....and take pictures of the inside of the main halls of cathedrals.

I used a time release cable to get an F stop of F 8 and above. Worked well.

Some really fine equipment came from Minolta back then...including their magnificent little 35mm, interchangeable lens Rangefinder...the Minolta CLE.
You lost it, ... a Leica table top , for as far as I know Leica sold them to under their label.

In cathedrals and other places most of the time I've been placing the lens on the lenshood to position the camera up. Real stabil now I don't think this tripod will leave my camera bag. (unless in a plane because the two rear legs are a bit to much for the security (i guess)).
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I've been very pleased with my G'pod. I owned the SLR Zoom version and recently traded it for the Focus which is actually designed to hold a mid-sized pro video camera. Both models were quite sturdy and the added flexibility to wrap the legs around posts, etc is great. They are a bit pricey though.

Ronny: what did your t'top cost?
Didn't know about the focus version, got the slr zoom and it's not strong enough. Next time I get to a shop I'll check it out, though I don't really need it. (i think)

The tripod was 33.2 (about 45us$) shipping included, but that was the minimal shipping so it will be a bit more I think.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:56 PM   #16

do you have the link to that tripod, it seems a very stable tripod with long heavy lenses.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:31 PM   #17

the link to ebay probably there will be others who sell this but this was the one I found. (sorry the seller only has a french page)
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Yep, would love to have a folding lcd screen, but the quality of the screen (and viewing angle) have improved a lot lately that I don't think I'll need it that much.

A better contrast autofocus would be great, imho the sony a33/55 have te best live view autofocus I've ever seen.
i never thought about the viewing angle. yes, with newer designs, that is much improved.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
You lost it, ... a Leica table top , for as far as I know Leica sold them to under their label.

In cathedrals and other places most of the time I've been placing the lens on the lenshood to position the camera up. Real stabil now I don't think this tripod will leave my camera bag. (unless in a plane because the two rear legs are a bit to much for the security (i guess)).
I've been kicking myself for awhile over the little Minolta. I remember buying it at a camera store...owner told me I could save money for essentially the same thing as the Leica TT tripod.

My prime large tripod...I haven't lost ...it's a heavy duty Leitz Tiltall. Use it for over a quarter of a century....the build quality is phenomenal.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
and if the pentax lcd would have folded out, like sony, it would be even easier. these small ergonomic changes would make an already great camera even better.
Amen to that. Here is a quickie snapshot of a very workable setup with a Sony a550 (and accessory LCD hood sold for the a350) on a Vanguard VS-82 tabletop tripod, which is about as stable as it gets. The tripod can be had on ebay for about $20. The VS-80 is about an inch shorter, and can be had from Adorama for the same price. Both are lightweight, fold compactly for carrying, and are rated at 5.5 pounds (2.5 KG) capacity. Plastic and aluminum construction - the legs and center column extend for extra height -- no telling how long the plastic parts will last, but at that price they will last long enough to get more than your money's worth. The only downside is that like so many photographic accessories made in China, the plastic outgases a chemical odor that is rather persistent!

The picture was taken with a Pentax K100, so I can post it here!

Name:  IMGP1197.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  67.2 KB
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote