Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:52 AM   #1

Default The best table tripod (? ever ?)

one the things I hate is having to place my camera on the ground to get a real low angle shot, so Iíve been trying to find a table tripod that would work perfect with at dslr and much to heavy lens.

Most of those table tripods are made for p&s cameraís and they work but not really. What I mean is they work on a table but when you place them on the ground they arenít that stable.

So I had already 6 different types when I found this one on ebay

itís partly plastic, partly aluminum but real strong and can handle this

without slowly lowering the lens (I know you wont use it this way but Ö it works).

the link to ebay probably there will be others who sell this but this was the one I found. (sorry the seller only has a french page)

A few of the results of the first test

Just wanted to share this

Ronny
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:02 AM   #2

Great shots Ronny - esp. #1 & 2. And I bet you didn't get cold or wet taking them !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:24 PM   #3

Very nice shots Ronny. Looks like you have a great little tripod. I have been pleased with my gorillapod, though it's quite a bit larger than the one you found.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:11 PM   #4

Nice little tripod, Ronny.
I really like the results too!
Great shots. That's one nice lens.
I've been wanting a table top for quite some time now.
I picked up a used one last year but promptly broke it trying to tighten the ball-head. That's going to be one of my DIY projects real soon!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:29 PM   #5

and if the pentax lcd would have folded out, like sony, it would be even easier. these small ergonomic changes would make an already great camera even better.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:34 PM   #6

It's obviously working nicely. I have a Manfrotto tabletop that's OK if you are very careful - it was bought for an ultrazoom and really too light-weight for a dSLR with the Viv. I also have a gorillapod and haven't been happy with it as a table-top. It's fine for wrapping the legs around something, but the joints slip and pretty soon it's splayed out flat.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:39 PM   #7

The best table top tripod I ever used ..and used to have...think I lost it...was my Minolta Table Top.

It was metal, very strong, very well balanced. It was a copy of the Leitz Table Top. ack around the '70's and '80's, Minolta had a business arrangement with Leica.

My wife and I went to Europe in the '80's and I took my Pentax ES11 and K1000 ...used to set the cameras on the tripod , low on the floor...have a 28 mm Takumar wide angle on....and take pictures of the inside of the main halls of cathedrals.

I used a time release cable to get an F stop of F 8 and above. Worked well.

Some really fine equipment came from Minolta back then...including their magnificent little 35mm, interchangeable lens Rangefinder...the Minolta CLE.

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:34 AM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I also have a gorillapod and haven't been happy with it as a table-top. It's fine for wrapping the legs around something, but the joints slip and pretty soon it's splayed out flat.
I've been very pleased with my G'pod. I owned the SLR Zoom version and recently traded it for the Focus which is actually designed to hold a mid-sized pro video camera. Both models were quite sturdy and the added flexibility to wrap the legs around posts, etc is great. They are a bit pricey though.

Ronny: what did your t'top cost?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Great shots Ronny - esp. #1 & 2. And I bet you didn't get cold or wet taking them !
Thanks FF
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Very nice shots Ronny. Looks like you have a great little tripod. I have been pleased with my gorillapod, though it's quite a bit larger than the one you found.

Thanks mtnman,

have got the gorillapod to and have used it already a lot. It has been the best I had, only the size + heavy ballhead made that I don't take it a lot with me anymore.