Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:04 AM   #1

Default Better squirrel picture

I now have a new Sigma 120-400 - it likes squirrels better: *

Name:  IMGP1200r.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  99.8 KB

If you haven't followed the saga of my telezoom struggles in the Pentax lens forum, and are interested (or are interested in the lens), the story behind this lens acquisition is here, with additional photos and information:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...120-400-a.html

*I made a similar post earlier in this thread, but it seems to have disappeared or been removed, possibly for duplication - it links to an older long thread in the related Pentax Lens Forum which has had newer material added. Not everyone who might be interested checks in on that forum regularly enough to know it has been updated (instead of having started a new thread), or notice that a moderator (Steve?) was kind enough to alter the title a bit.

Last edited by penolta; Nov 29, 2010 at 2:09 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:11 AM   #2

I like squirrels to, but ... getting them in a picture is hard, especially when you don't spot them.

Great picture, looks like the lens is working to.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:11 AM   #3

Hi penolta,

I'm glad to hear that you've apparently gotten this lens situation straightened out to your satisfaction. The lens looks to perform beautifully.

If your guy is interested in a penpal from the Midwest, this lady has indicated some interest. . . I would be careful though -- far be it for me to judge, but I've gotten the impression this gal is a little eager to show off her assets, if ya know what I mean. . . she might just be looking for a free ticket to sunny CA

Very nice for 400mm wide open, but luckily not enough to generate any LBA lust for me. . .(phew -- imagine an icon wiping ones sweaty brow. . .)

Between my Tokina 80-400 AF2 and FA*300/4 + one of the 1.4x TCs, I've got this FL pretty much covered (I have to consider it a 400mm -- my tele zooms rarely see the short end. . . but that HSM is an attractive feature. . .

My sights are currently squarely on a new K-5 and I won't be distracted. I almost pulled the trigger on the latest Amazon deal for $1427 with free shipping, but have decided to wait it out a little longer -- it will be soon. . .

The quick firmware fix for the buffering made me suspect that they might have rushed the intro of the K-5 a tad, and I'm willing to give them more of a chance to work out any early production bugs that might appear -- with a whole new sensor and AF module, it'll give me a bit more confidence if I wait for a little later production run -- I want a really good one. . .

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Nov 29, 2010 at 4:15 AM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi penolta,

I'm glad to hear that you've apparently gotten this lens situation straightened out to your satisfaction. The lens looks to perform beautifully.

If your guy is interested in a penpal from the Midwest, this lady has indicated some interest. . . I would be careful though -- far be it for me to judge, but I've gotten the impression this gal is a little eager to show off her assets, if ya know what I mean. . . she might just be looking for a free ticket to sunny CA

Scott
Ha! My guy looks interested, but I don't think your lady is in any condition to be receptive. Actually he is sitting up alertly because he heard the dog door flap - interrupted his meal - you will remember my interest in how they hold their seeds, and you can see the partly eaten seed being held in one of his hands (between the toes?), so this picture is of more interest than just for the IQ example!

The HSM and OS on this lens are mighty impressive - if only it weren't so heavy (6 1/2 pounds with the K20 and grip) . . . . It is hand-holdable, but not for long!

I know what you mean about the K5 early purchase - a word of warning: when you search for bargain prices on the K-5, K-7s also sometimes come up, so look twice before you leap if you think you have found one, because you probably have not. Prices have actually gone up!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
I like squirrels to, but ... getting them in a picture is hard, especially when you don't spot them.

Great picture, looks like the lens is working to.
Thanks, Ronny - this guy is practically a resident since he discovered a dependable source of sunflower seeds. I am pleased with the lens so far.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:22 PM   #6

Penolta,

Did you take the Squirrel's picture...hand holding the Sigma ....or use a monopod or a tripod ?

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Penolta,

Did you take the Squirrel's picture...hand holding the Sigma ....or use a monopod or a tripod ?

Les
Hand held, but leaning against the door frame. This was the last of a bunch of shots taken over several minutes with rest breaks between. All 400mm, 1/90 sec, f5.6, ISO 800, full shade - a little soft at full aperture, requiring sharpening in pp. All but one of equal quality, but one shot was blurry, and that because of subject movement.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:09 PM   #8

Amazing clarity & detail, especially for a hand-held shot! So glad you've gotten this fine lens!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:07 AM   #9

Having shot my Vivitar 120-600 handheld at 6 1/2 lbs I know what a feat it is that you got such a great shot.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:38 PM   #10

hey penolta or snostorm,
if either of you are looking for some diversity, I have a lovely active squirrel here in my area looking for some companions. Race is not a factor for him, for he is color blind. Let me know if you are interested...