Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:14 AM   #1

Default Aussie cars

1954 EH Holden

S Series Valiant

3 Ford Falcons

1972 GTR Holden Torana

from the Maurice Brockwell Memorial Run at Whiteman park
I will try to get some more up soon

Last edited by Gumnut; Dec 2, 2010 at 4:26 AM.
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:53 AM   #2

Nice set...!

Must have been a fun day...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:57 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The low angle really works for these shots! Don't see Holden badged vehicles in the US.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:46 AM   #4

These are great shots of some oldies, some of which I can relate to and others I've never seen before. My father had a Valiant so that brought back memories for me.

When I was in Australia earlier this year I was pleasantly surprised by all the old restored cars I saw, including many old American muscle cars.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:21 PM   #5

Like the Aussie cars.....I've seen one...was here in Canada....had a 6 cylinder engine, hemi with either 2 or 3 carbs...can't recall the name, apparently fast.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:19 PM   #6

Great photos, John!
I taught my sister to drive when she was 33yrs old. and her first car was a 63 Valiant slant 6. It was a classic back then and it was in perfect condition. It got totaled one night as it was parked. A drunk driver ran into it while running from the cops.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:35 PM   #7

Should that first label read 1964?

The Recent Pontiac GTO and the G8 were both rebadged Holden Monaros. The Fords were Australia specific models a little smaller than the Fairlane/Torino here, the Chrylers were closely related to American cars while the Holdens had more in commen with German Opels and British Vauxhall (except for the American V8 engines.).

Great pictures, good use of the low angle shot. Thanks.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:16 PM   #8

Nothing to add, just to re-echo - Great photos of some very interesting vehicles, and great use of the angle and the light!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:53 AM   #9

thanks for all the comments guys
it was a fun day Wizzard, not many cars this year, nut some interesting ones showed up
(which i will try to post later)
Keltech if you want to see some American restored and custom cars in Aus, you need to be in Perth for the second saturday in February, Big Als Poker Run, and its free http://www.johndolphin.net/photos/ca...php?cat_id=106 these are some photos from previous years if you want to have a look
hmm a hemi Valiant had a 4 barrel hemi pacer and there was the Charger
see if any of these ring a bell http://www.valiant.org/ausval.html
ouch GW
Thanks Monza it should be a 64 it is now corrected I own one, you think i would get it right, some early Holdens also had a touch of Chev about them, usually a couple of years earlier and smaller
Thanks Mole, glad you like them
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:47 AM   #10

What I like about Australian "Big Three" models is that they actually developed some truly hot versions of the six cylinder cars, like the hemi sixes in the Chrysler models. Cheap gas in the US lead to really big V8s that made power through cubic inches while efficient sixes like the OHC Pontiac, the Buick V6s and aluminum v8s (can you say Rover), and the all aluminum slant six multi-carb engines never caught on because they cost more to build.

Countries like Australia, where long stretches of highway needed powerful cars but fuel costs and incomes demanded more economy, seemed to take the path that a more expensive, but more efficient car, would better suit their needs. V8s were still popular but were not the only choice for the long haul cruiser.

Thanks again for sharing, as a certified car nut I appreciate images of cars I never see. (Except in movies, didn't Mad Max have a V8 Falcon coupe?? ...did I get the model right?)

BTW I have owned a 1976 V8 Chevy Monza, a 1984 Pontiac Fiero, a 1984 VW GTI and now a base model 1999 V6, 5 speed Mustang (I like the simple mechanical design, much like those old Aussie models you have photographed).

Anyone else want to chime in with their automotive tastes, perhaps this would be a good social thread??
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses