Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Here's my current ride... a 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with manual transmission. Not as fast as a WRX but plenty peppy and tons of fun to drive. Plus it is mechanically interesting, at least to me:
Never had a Subaru, but they have a lot of appeal to me, especially the Forester.

I've heard comparisons being made that the Pentax is the Subaru of the camera world, Nikon is the Honda and Canon the Toyota.

Pentax being an outdoorsy, robust camera with interesting, not run of the mill features. ...kind of like Subaru.

Wonder how many Pentaxians have Subaru's or find Subaru's have a lot of appeal (like me)....?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:14 PM   #12

I am glad that his thread hasn't just faded away, Les has an interesting philosophical point about the things we choose to buy. Does your car and your camera make any statement about your personality? Is the car you drive in any way a reflection of how you see yourself? I believe it does, but only for those people who really choose, not the ones who just pick what is trendy.

There are some Leica owners who just have them as jewelery to show their wealth and social status, there are some Canon owners who just want to be part of the "herd" because "everyone has a Canon". Just as there are many Porsche owners that have Leicas and Corvette owners with Canons, just because of the name, there are those who drive Porsches, Corvettes, Prius or whatever and use Leica, Canon, Nikkon or whatever because they are great machines that suit their way of doing things.

I think that the examples we have here so far represent the latter group, those who choose for purpose rather than image. Pentax is a camera brand with a reputation for "quiet innovation", simplicity and ruggedness. Notice that the cars and motorcycles listed here so far are not the flashiest or highest profile but are very good at what the owners want from them.

My family car is a Mazda 5, a mini-mini-van, a very functional vehicle that is still economical and fun to drive, my Mustang is the model that gets no respect because it isn't a V8 but it suits me just fine as a fun second vehicle, I use Pentax.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:29 PM   #13

well, i might as well add mine here too.

I suppose my truck doesnt really fit into Monza's observations about vehicles and pentax owners, lol. But i i am new to both worlds, so maybe i am an exception?

This is my child. first vehicle i have ever had:
2007 toyota tundra. bought it earlier this year.

Last edited by ewheeler20; Dec 5, 2010 at 2:32 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
well, i might as well add mine here too.

I suppose my truck doesnt really fit into Monza's observations about vehicles and pentax owners, lol. But i i am new to both worlds, so maybe i am an exception?

This is my child. first vehicle i have ever had:
2007 toyota tundra. bought it earlier this year.
Hey, trucks are very functional and if you wanted it just for the image it would have been a flashier model.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:38 PM   #15

While I don't happen to have a photo handy of either of our two cars, they were both chosen for reasons. My favorite car is a Jeep Wrangler and speaks volumes about where I like to go/what I like to do. I've posted a number of pictures of it in the past (look for the bright green one in some of my pictures). We haven't been off-roading in ages, gas has gotten expensive. But I still love the vehicle and hope that some day I'll be able to do more.

Our other vehicle is all about economy, a Honda Fit. There's no point in us buying a commuter car with the intention of keeping it for a long time, and leasing is totally out of the question - we put around 40,000 miles a year on our daily driver. It'll sit in the driveway if the snow is too much.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:33 AM   #16

i havent owned to many cars
a 1955 beetle (small oval window and pillar indicators) bought for $200, sold it 20 years later for $1400 it had a whole 30hp or thereabouts
i painted it red to make it go faster
second car was a morris 1100 that floated on fluid, i kept breaking the cv joints so traded it in an a mini moke (a 1000xx motor) i really enjoyed that car and wouldnt mind another
ui had to sell the moke and get a sensible car to put the new baby in the back
and got a mazda 323
this was followed by a toyota hilux 4 door (2 kids by now) 4WD ute (an ex mining vehicle with a 120 litre spare fuel tank) which really opened up places in WA, we went camping all over the place and some were very remote
then the 1964 EH Holden which i still have (would this car equal owning a 1958 Kodak retinea in camera terms??)
this is the EH in my backyard

i have photos of the other cars but they need scanning

oh i drive a daihatsu pyzar at the moment
nearly forgot

Last edited by Gumnut; Dec 6, 2010 at 5:37 AM.
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:16 AM   #17

Ok interesting subject, sorry before my Pentax. Me and the wife were riding our bicycles and on the side of the road was this Mustang for sale, I stopped to look and my Wife said why don't you just buy it, So I did. I needed some work but that was fun, Still needs some motor work (more HP's) My 1985 Mustang GT 5.0L Conv.
Attached Images

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:20 AM   #18

My second favorite ride is my Club Car, Got it used for the Cottage, All electric needed new batteries. You wouldn't believe how cheap you can pick up one of these after the snow starts falling. It also needed some work but that's the fun part. I think my grand kids like it as much as I do (not all mine)
Attached Images

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:16 PM   #19

We currently have 5 Subaru's and 1 Maxima in the driveway. Four of the Subaru's are my son's. He was supposed to get rid of three of them when he bought the fourth. But, it's been a month and he always has an excuse as to why he can't get rid of any of them. One is an 84 SRX (I think that's what it is) that he is saving for his nephew who is only 3. The other two don't even run.

We definitely don't follow the crowds in any of our purchases. We do our research and buy what fits our needs best. Even if it's not what the majority thinks is best. How I ended up with Pentax.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:49 PM   #20

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I've heard comparisons being made that the Pentax is the Subaru of the camera world, Nikon is the Honda and Canon the Toyota.
Even though I am now shooting with "Honda" gear, I work for and therefore drive "Canons" : a Sienna and a Camry

BTW, what's photo gear translation for Ford, GM & Chrysler?

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote