Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:12 AM   #11

Reality check, Ed. There are a lot of things going on here that lens is not responsible for.

#1. Beautiful model (perfect skin, make-up, hair)

#2. Perfect head position.

#3. Perfect lighting.

OK, the lens helped, but I agree with Harriet and Mark on this one.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:30 AM   #12

I have to agree with some of the others...

The lens is just a tool, it's the craftsman that knows how to use the tool that gets
the results... I don't think I could do that good no matter what lens I used...

Good job, Eddy...!
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:45 AM   #13

I know the lens helps a lot but it's still you who has to take the picture, set the lighting and generally speaking know what you're doing.

Magnificent shot, and no I don't need a FA77.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:20 AM   #14

I like the lighting and the crop is nice, too. Also I want to chime in here with the detail.
I know, that you prefer a look, that's on the soft(er) side. I sometimes see people being confused about "soft" and "not having detail". This picture is a very good example of great detail, while still retaining a soft/smooth look. The fine nuances in her skin color and the "overall color feeling" add to that and together it makes a wonderful portrait.

Now you'll need some good paper and a capable photo laboratory to bring this to paper in high quality.

Btw. - the only lens in my bag I'd try to do that kind of trick is an old M85/2. Now I just need a model . The thing where I'll fail big would be the lighting, though .

Kind regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkn777 View Post
I like the lighting and the crop is nice, too. Also I want to chime in here with the detail.
I know, that you prefer a look, that's on the soft(er) side. I sometimes see people being confused about "soft" and "not having detail". This picture is a very good example of great detail, while still retaining a soft/smooth look. The fine nuances in her skin color and the "overall color feeling" add to that and together it makes a wonderful portrait.

Now you'll need some good paper and a capable photo laboratory to bring this to paper in high quality.

Btw. - the only lens in my bag I'd try to do that kind of trick is an old M85/2. Now I just need a model . The thing where I'll fail big would be the lighting, though .

Kind regards,
Th.
Yes, this.

I do prefer a soft look. I've never, ever liked oversharpend photos and the internet is full of photos (Portraits) that are so oversharpened that they no longer look real.

Re: the 77. As you said, even the the softer look of the photo, a lens like the 77 does a fine job of capturing the detail. In fact, it does such a fine job that some things in the photo are seen that would not otherwise be.

Having said that....

I appreciate everyones comments about the photo itself. I'm still enjoying a degree of beginners luck when it comes to the lighting and capture.

I am, finally, starting to understand the lighting and trust me equipment.

Someone once told me that photography is about light. There's no place that I know of where that is more applicable than in the studio.

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyinGA View Post
Did a series of headshot for this young lady today.

More and more, I'm very happy that I own an FA 77 f/1.8 Limited.

Enjoy

Eddy

Great headshot and your skill complements the coveted lens too. You have any lighting set up to share with us as to how you could pull this off?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
Eddy

Great headshot and your skill complements the coveted lens too. You have any lighting set up to share with us as to how you could pull this off?

Daniel
Lighting was similar to rembrandt. Main light 45/45 camera left. 40x60 foamcore bookend camera right. And a single rim light (Monolight with 20 degree grid) at lowest power camera left about 6' from the model and about 30 degrees off her right shoulder. Hairlight/Snoot camera right above her at very low power.

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:09 AM   #18

At last it loads for me !

Just gorgeous - it was driving me nuts being able to read the comments but not see the shot !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:32 PM   #19

Beautiful model. Beautiful lighting! Beautiful capture!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote