Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Pentax K-r video

It seems like the videos i take on the K-r are really grainy. Especially when i compare it to the ones posted on youtube. It is almost as if the ISO is at around 6400 or so, although there is no way to change the iso in movie mode. Im not sure if it is a defect in just my camera, or if it is normal. I am not sure how to post a video on the forum, so i cant post a sample...

help?
thanks,
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:23 PM   #2

are you recording in very dark enviroments - its possible because its dark its automatically going upto iso 6400 or so - are the still images fine?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:35 PM   #3

the stills that i took in the same room at the same time as the videos were automatically chosen at 400 and 800, so there should be no problem with the amount of light. I had had aperture maxed out. I have checked all the video settings and everything is set to its highest quality values.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:50 AM   #4

Lighting requirements for still vs. video are very different. With video, the range in shutter speed is much more limited in order to accommodate the video framerate. You can't shoot with all the slower shutter speeds you could in still. For example, on my T2i, I could take a still photo at 1/30s f/2.8 ISO 400. In video, however, my shutter speed can only go as slow as 1/60s (60fps max) at f/2.8, so I'd have to bump up the ISO to ISO 800 or higher to get a similar exposure in video.

If you want to post a sample of your video, I recommend getting a free YouTube account and posting it there.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:55 PM   #5

I am having the same problem. Please let me know if you fixed it and how.
jroye82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:54 PM   #6

Well, Since my original post, I have shot a few short video clips outside and in bright indoor conditions. There is no grain. I suspect Illuminati is correct about videos having higher ISO requirements. Although, in dark-ish areas, there still is considerable grain, i have just resided to the fact that it will just be that way.