Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:37 AM   #31

There are those who say that PEF is better, I never saw a difference. I think the DNG files are larger and why many don't use it on the K20. When I bought the K20 LR didn't recognize it's PEF so I used DNG, just never changed. Memory isn't that expensive (unless you are a pro and backing things up in several different ways). I also thought that DNG might be supported for longer than PEF (they can't continue to support every camera forever) but am not entirely sure that's going to be true - DNG doesn't seem to be as universally accepted as PDF has become. Try it both ways and see what you think.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
There are those who say that PEF is better, I never saw a difference. I think the DNG files are larger and why many don't use it on the K20. When I bought the K20 LR didn't recognize it's PEF so I used DNG, just never changed. Memory isn't that expensive (unless you are a pro and backing things up in several different ways). I also thought that DNG might be supported for longer than PEF (they can't continue to support every camera forever) but am not entirely sure that's going to be true - DNG doesn't seem to be as universally accepted as PDF has become. Try it both ways and see what you think.
yes your are correct, nowadays it is just a preference....on the KX the file sizes are similar, but on older cameras it can differ with 2-4 mb. That is because the PEF files where compressed (lossless) and the DNG was not, this has now changed and both the pef and DNG's are compressed (lossless)

I am using PEF just because it is default..
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:18 PM   #33

Well..I thought I would find something colourful in all the all the snow we had now but the hoarfrost has pretty well subdued most of the colours.Maybe when the sum comes out.Here is my entry for now..some fake flowers to brighten up my white yard.
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:19 PM   #34

Sun...not sum..lol..its been so long since I've seen it I forgot how to spell it.
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:01 AM   #35

LOL! Definitely using color for a purpose - the bright colored flowers sure contrast with the snow.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:21 AM   #36

I thought I would enter this manipulated photo of a Cardinal, inasmuch as it is the Christmas season and this image resembles a wreath. This was a test picture taken with my new old SMC Pentax-A 3.5 35-105mm macro.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:34 PM   #37

That's very cool - I know how to do something like that in AutoCAD, but assume that's not what you used. What did you use?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:38 AM   #38

Thanks. It is a Photoshop Plug-in called Kaleidoscope.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:53 AM   #39

It's just been too cold to do what I had been thinking. So, unless I get it this week, this will be my image for the month.

Patty
Attached Images

Last edited by nhmom; Dec 25, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:57 PM   #40

This is my entry, I was walking in the cemetery behind the house playing with my new (to me) SMC Pentax-M 135 f3.5 so far I like the lens.
f? 1/160 sec. ISO 200
Attached Images

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Dec 25, 2010 at 8:36 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote