Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:34 PM   #1

Default December Challenge - Color

I've been torn between two different topics, but this one really fits more into my thinking/interests at the moment.

The topic is color. I'm not necessarily suggesting that everyone go out and try to take the most colorful object/scene they can find (though that would be perfectly acceptable). I was thinking more about the use of color. That could be an abstract that depends on color, or a colorful scene like a sunset, or even a shot where everything is the same color (monochrome - like everything in a shot is some shade of yellow), or complimentary/contrasting colors (I'm not very good at the color wheel and when you are supposed to use which colors to say which things - I never remember the opposites). It might be a time for those who have a K7 to dig into the camera's processing menu for an idea also.

This is not a topic that is easy for me to even describe, much less capture. So I am hoping that all of you will be very imaginative and teach me something about how to approach this topic.

Photos to be taken with a Pentax or Samsung dSLR and to be taken within the past 90 days.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2

Time to dust off the K10! Or perhaps my "new" K20 will be available in time to shoot some entries.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:10 PM   #3

Or perhaps to take some comparison shots. The one thing I'm sure you will notice right off is your "new" K20 will have better AF than your K10 does.

I always thought the raw colors with the K20 were more saturated than the K10's raw pictures. But I didn't take many comparison shots before shipping the K10. It might be just my inaccurate perception rather than fact. If my perception is true, then it would be a smart idea to use it for the challenge!

P.S. That's always assuming that the camera arrives in one piece...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:05 PM   #4

I am sure it will, everything else finally worked out.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:51 PM   #5

Hmmm, not much for response. So here's one to get people thinking - it's not an entry, just one of several ideas I had when thinking about color as a topic. This was done almost completely in-camera using one of the digital filters (selective color). Not the greatest shot in the world, but I thought it was effective for using color and a whole lot easier than trying to take a color picture, mask the flower and then desaturate the rest.
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:09 AM   #6

Mtngal!
I love the topic. I'm tossing the topic around in my head to come up with a couple of ideas to play with.
Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:04 PM   #7

Great shot Mtngal! I like the topic as well, but I am also kicking around some ideas and trying to come up with some imaginative. Looking forward to everyone's entries.
abieleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:18 PM   #8

A popular colour here in Finland is white... I will give this topic some thought. Thanks.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:06 PM   #9

i have three, just for practice, i know i will come up with something better soon

perhaps these arent what youre looking for, but the color was all done naturally with bouncing halogen lights and two lamps, just an ordinary table with a brown backdrop

all of these three images were taken in the same place, different lighting techniques to get different results

again, no pp needed to alter coloring here, just light bouncing and reflecting off the brown wooden table

changing colors took trial and error
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:13 PM   #10

I can think of several ways to use that white background to great effect, wish it were white around here. With my luck I'll leave to visit family for Christmas and it'll do nothing but snow while I'm gone. Then I'll have a couple of feet to shovel in order to park the car (this actually happened to us one year).