Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:01 PM   #1

Default Mourning the loss...

If you don't see my smiling face around for a while, its because I'm in mourning. I lost one of my best friends Monday afternoon.
While I was taking photos of my lights as I'm gearing up to build my studio, I was taking the 55-300 off my K20 and replacing it with 18-55 that was on Linda's K100, so I could get wider shots... I laid the 55-300 very carefully on the table, then carefully put the 18-55 on my K20 and turned to pick up my lens cloth to wipe the lens when suddenly my prized 55-300 went crashing to the floor! #[email protected]*&%^#! I picked it up and examined it. All I could see was a small scuff where it hit the concrete, no broken glass, so I put it on the camera and took a quick test shot.
Whew! it was still working. After a proper scolding and berating myself for letting such a thing happen... I went on about my business.
Then, Tuesday I took the day off to go to Daytona to take care of some business and grabbed the camera on the way out the door, just in case I had a chance to use it.
Well, I did and it didn't... didn't work, I mean. Well it took pictures but the kept coming out too dark no matter what aperture I used. Upon further inspection I learned the aperture was stuck on f:22!

Now I'm just going to go sit in a dark corner and sulk for a while.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:13 PM   #2

No need to sulk - sounds like a great excuse to go out and buy the DA*60-250 and DA*300. That would take care of things nicely, don't you think?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:31 PM   #3

GW - Had a very similar experience a few weeks ago. Was in the midst of changing lenses out on the trail, and dropped my DA 16-45. Mount hit a rock and got bent. Was able to bend it back (swiss army knife with pliers), but the aperture lever kept sticking - in the wide open position. After fruitless efforts to fix it myself, found out about a guy named Eric who is an EXPERT Pentax repairman (he also happens to live in East Tennessee!). He did a great job repairing my lens at a very reasonable price, and very quickly too. Here's a link to his website:

http://pentaxs.com/index.html
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
GW - Had a very similar experience a few weeks ago. Was in the midst of changing lenses out on the trail, and dropped my DA 16-45. Mount hit a rock and got bent. Was able to bend it back (swiss army knife with pliers), but the aperture lever kept sticking - in the wide open position. After fruitless efforts to fix it myself, found out about a guy named Eric who is an EXPERT Pentax repairman (he also happens to live in East Tennessee!). He did a great job repairing my lens at a very reasonable price, and very quickly too. Here's a link to his website:

http://pentaxs.com/index.html
Hi GW,

Eric Hendrickson comes highly recommended from a lot of long time Pentax shooters. If I needed lens work done, I'd send it to him. . . matter of fact, I'll be sending one to him for a look see sometime this winter -- already contacted him, and just have to get around to packing it up and shipping it. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:51 PM   #5

So sorry to hear. Hope you get something figured out.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:05 PM   #6

I'm with Harriet !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
No need to sulk - sounds like a great excuse to go out and buy the DA*60-250 and DA*300. That would take care of things nicely, don't you think?

Oh, you're a big help, Harriet!
OK, tell ya what... I order them and tell them to send the bill to you!

Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:20 PM   #8

Thank you Mole and Scott, I'll be sending it to him soon.

Thanks, Patty. I'm glad somebody feels sorry for me.

Keven, you're no help either!

Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:40 PM   #9

sorry to hear it. Honestly you might want to consider getting equipment insured. State farm has a personal articles policy that's fairly inexpensive - but other policies where you specify exact gear, provide proof of purchase and insure for specific $$ amounts will work. And at least in the case of State Farm's - no deductible. A few years back, a few thousand$$$ worth of gear dropped in a pond - I had new gear in 2 weeks with no hassle.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Oh, you're a big help, Harriet!
OK, tell ya what... I order them and tell them to send the bill to you!
That's fine, as long as you put my address as the "ship to" address. Only problem is that neither of us would get them - any draft on my bank account right now would bounce big-time.

JohnG - A very good idea about the insurance. I've got enough now invested in camera gear that I can't replace it all. I need to look into the State Farm policy, along with my own home-owners insurance company's options. Thanks for the idea!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote