Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:13 PM   #11

While toying around I got some nice images from my tomcat - be my guest In case you wonder why he enjoys laying on the ground - we got a floor heating system and he likes to pick the warm spots

Last shot is outside while he sat on the window board overlooking the scenery.

All images taken at ISO6400 (camera choice, wasn't planned) and with the Tamron 70-300 lens. Btw - I found, that Topaz denoise works very well with the high ISO images from the K-r... iirc that wasn't the case with my *istDL2. So I'm cheating a bit here with the noise... but that's not a technical how-big-is-the-noise thread anyway.

Th.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Dec 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:22 PM   #12

ISO800...ISO12800 how relaxed is that with the K-r? The following images are taken with ISO800, 3200, 2*12800 and postprocessed. I wanted to see how far you can push things. Results: ISO6400 is a safe bet in most cases. ISO25600 is quite grainy but CAN be "usable" depending on situation. ISO12800 is surprisingly good - so atm my auto-ISO stays at 200-12800 for inside/lowlight and 200-6400 outside. That's a huge range and gives a lot of possiblities (in the means of a wider range for shutter speed and DOF choices)

Also compared to my *istDL2 the auto-WB is way better, even inside (artifical lights) - as long as there are some different colors in the image it's mostly quite accurate and close to the "real" feeling. Feels good if you can trust that in most cases.

Yours,
Th.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Dec 14, 2010 at 4:33 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:09 PM   #13

Very impressive, th.
The Kr appears to be a great little camera.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:28 PM   #14

At the current price, the K-r is very attractive. I just can't decide if I'd rather wait until the K-5 drops below $1000.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:41 PM   #15

Very nice pictures - the noise reduction isn't obvious at this size. Really sharp pictures.

If your DL2 was like my DS, the auto white balance was hopeless inside - custom white balance was the only way to go. Every camera I've had since the K100 has improved the auto WB - if all these pictures are AWB and what the camera produced, then I'm really impressed! My K7 is pretty good, but it's not THAT good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:56 AM   #16

Very impressive results - great job with the camera (and software)!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:22 AM   #17

Those are exactly the type of shots - shot at high ISO settings that I wanted to see and I knew you'd come up with D). Thank you !

Very impressive - I think your ISO ranges (indoor/outdoor) look perfect for that sensor and it is a massive improvement over the K7. '

The K5 will be here in January but then the Kr looks like a more than capable replacement for the K7 for later in the year when I will need to have two bodies for some commercial shoots and don't want there to be such a huge gap in high ISO capability as there would be with the K5 vs K7. Can't wait !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:56 AM   #18

Thanks for all the comments and the input I've got - I am thinking a lot about the features of the K-r at the moment, but was really angry about the front focus problem - up to the point to send it back. I cooled down a bit, working with focus correction at the moment. I still get front focus, but can use at least some of my lenses to some extend. Already contacted the support and will send in the camera to fix that in the new year - the staff people are on vacation anyway at the moment

For the moment I just want to pick up two topics from your comments: price and low light performance.

#1 - price
A reminder at first: I don't take the lenses into account in my posting, just the camera and maybe a kit lens. Things change completely if you take your lens collection into account. That being said:
Compared to other brands I think, that the K-r is "affordable" in the means, that it isn't over-priced. Good bang-for-the-buck value to say so, although still expensive. Street prices are around 750 EUR in Germany, I ordered mine from an internet seller and with cashback it's roughly 500 EUR for the kit (incl. 18-55 plastic mount kit lens) plus shipping. That's without the battery cage, which is a must imho - we talk about 50 EUR including shipping here. For around 600 EUR (maybe a tad less) you can get a Nikon D90 + 18-105VR kit ... just to give an example. So the K-r is still on the high end of the price range and I expect the price to drop quite a bit in the next year with all the new camera models in that market area.
The K5 on the other hand is overpriced. 1200+ EUR for the kit from internet vendors! I can understand Pentax as a company here - they got a great product and use it as a cash machine. It's up to the customer to buy or wait now. For reference: a Nikon D300s body is about 900 EUR, a Canon 50D/60D around 850 EUR.

@Biro
Good plan, wait for a price drop if you don't need the K5 right now, 1000 USD are around 760 EUR, something in that price range would be "well within the crowd".

#2 - low light performance
@mtngal
Aye - the stable WB is one of the key points of success here. Very impressive, indeed. I attached another image - JPEG straight from the camera, a lil' noise reduction, resizing for forum use, no sharpening. This was done using Auto WB. Can you image? This is INSIDE with all kind of artifical light (light bulbs, candle lights) and it looks like this? ISO3200 is what the camera choosed here btw. My *istDL2 wouldn't be able to come even "near" that.

Depending on situation you get more or less grain, but especially up to ISO6400 I am very pleased with the results.

@frogfish
Thanks for the info regarding the K7. I struggled with the decision to buy the K7 (battery grip, weather sealing, bigger body, 2nd display...) instead of the K-r, but for my style of photography a solid high ISO performance is kind of a killer argument. And since a good wide angle lens is high on my list, too - I finally decided that K-r + wide angle lens is way better for me and my bank account than the K5 + kit lens.

Kind regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Dec 18, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:17 PM   #19

As for outdoor auto WB - I posted some snow images here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ough-snow.html

Now snow can be a challenge for a camera... but I think the K-r handled it well. I could have made the images more eye-popping with some histogram works etc. - but wanted to show the "real thing" coming directly from the camera. To my mind this is a very solid performance.

Kind regards,
Th.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:09 PM   #20

The good, the not-so-bad and the not-so-ugly: bananas at 6400, 12800 and 25600 ISO. These images were taken in dim artificial light, EXIF data should be intact so you can see for yourself. Shutter speed was around 1/6s..1/10s so there is a minimal chance of blur from camera shake, as these are hand-held - but with shake reduction used I doubt it to be honest.

JPEG's from the camera, auto-WB, settings tweaked according to personal preferences (including less sharpening). Images were cropped and resized in PSE7. No other postprocessing. I'll show the whole image (resized) and two 1:1 crops for each ISO setting.

While the K-r sensor is nothing new or groundbraking, I thought I share these as some of you are especially interested in the low light capabilities. For the camera it could be worse (we've got low light, but quite some dynamic range, histogram is well used), but still it's a challenge.

The good: ISO6400
What shall I say - would you believe this is ISO6400? WB is nice, a bit warm maybe but not unpleasant. Image is grainy, but you have to search for color noise.
Attached Images