Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:51 PM   #1

Default K-r arrived

Hey all,
with the current cash-back I thought I give the K-r a try. K5 is out of reach and coming from the DL2 the K-r is an impressive camera (at least on paper, will get my first real experiences this weekend) and a huge improvement.

I just hope the weather permits some outdoor photography as indoor shots suffer from the front focus bug and Pentax Support told me they can't say when the firmware fix is available .

Also while the german Pentax website and lots of internet dealers advertise SAFOX IX+ for the K-r, I can confirm it's "only" SAFOX IX (just in case you were puzzled about that like me). And I had to ask the suppport for a downloadable german manual... they were only able to print and ship a french one, grrrr....

Th.

Last edited by thkn777; Dec 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:48 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new camera. Sure hope it works out well for you, and looking forward to seeing some of your great images with it!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:29 PM   #3

Did you happen to get a storm-trooper white one? I really would like one of those (though once I saw a red one in person, I was quite taken by it - very classy looking).

Remember to post some pictures and give us your impressions of it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:00 PM   #4

Congrats on your new camera ! I'm really looking forward to seeing your feedback on it as I know you like testing !

Next year I have to have two bodies so I'll buy the K5 in January and I was then thinking of adding a Kx or a Kr and selling the K7 (I really want/need to have the better low light sensor and one WR body is enough).
I saw on DPR that they have a tool whereby you can choose to compare cameras and the ratings overlay, The Kx (Kr & K5 reviews aren't done yet) beat out the new Nikon 7000 in some areas, including low light, so I'm expecting the Kr & K5 to do even better.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 2:45 AM   #5

Congrats with the new cam can't wait to see what you find of it.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 2:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Did you happen to get a storm-trooper white one? I really would like one of those (though once I saw a red one in person, I was quite taken by it - very classy looking).

Remember to post some pictures and give us your impressions of it.
Good morning,
I decided to buy a black one. The "coolness" factor of a white one also means it is more interesting for thieves... And yes, I know, that practical thinking is not everything, but that's me... Whites ones are available in Germany in different online stores at the moment, it's the red ones that are sold out

@mole, frogfish and rhermans
Thank you Weather isn't really good for leaving the house, so outdoor shots have to wait or I have to come up with some idea, hm. I'll post some images and findings later.

Th.

P.S. A little teaser: two images from yesterday with only histogram adjustments and resizing applied. Camera settings tweaked to personal taste including highlight/shadow correction on. No final sharpening of the images. JPEG's from the camera, in-camera noise reduction, ISO12800, auto-WB (indoor/warm light), 105mm, F/5.6, 1/25s and 1/30s. Lens used: Pentax F28-105. (Did I say I hate it when software removes EXIF information? )
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Dec 11, 2010 at 3:01 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:30 AM   #7

@frogfish
since you wrote about low-light performance, do you mean high ISO in general? I ask because this has many flavours:
- low contrast/low dynamic range and very dim light --> the nightmare
- getting high shutter speed in normal light
- mid/high contrast and mid/high dynamic range, but still very dim light --> the average "problem" when it comes to concert photography and so on.

For the last two cases the questions stand - if you raise ISO sensititivy, how good is the color reproduction, how fast/reliable the AF, how detailed your main object.

As for the last question, here is an example at ISO25600 with the K-r. Not a very spectacular object - I know... . EXIF is intact this time. Developed in PSE7 from DNG, non-aggressive manual noise reduction, some minor tweaking. Tamron 70-300 lens at 300mm.

Pretty impressive if you ask me. Practical use of such a high ISO value is questionable, I'd like to see it from this point of view: image quality at lower ISO values can only get better . I'll give a full view and a 1:1 crop below.

Kind regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:23 AM   #8

Looks good, the KR is the one on my radar

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:09 PM   #9

thkn777 - when I talk about low light I'm thinking about situations (tonight was a perfect example when we went to a Xmas party) where I don't want to use flash (I find a flash very intrusive on most situations and would rather not use it if at all possible) or outside in low light (either adverse weather conditions, at dusk or evening in well lit areas).

It would be great if I could shoot at 6,400 or 12,800 and still get very low noise shots enabling me to use apertures from F4 to F5.6 for example, rather than F2.0 to F2.8.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
thkn777 - when I talk about low light I'm thinking about situations (tonight was a perfect example when we went to a Xmas party) where I don't want to use flash (I find a flash very intrusive on most situations and would rather not use it if at all possible) or outside in low light (either adverse weather conditions, at dusk or evening in well lit areas).

It would be great if I could shoot at 6,400 or 12,800 and still get very low noise shots enabling me to use apertures from F4 to F5.6 for example, rather than F2.0 to F2.8.
Hm, in most cases motion blur will spoil the fun here - you need 1/100s or better to be on the safe side. I'll try to shoot some similar images so you can have a look.

Th.