Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Hey, haven't seen the sun in almost two weeks and the temperature is currently -34C with -40C windchill so I know what you mean.
Yeah, I thought YOU might... you're in a rougher terrain and latitude... yikes. Keep warm and take care.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
Nice shot but tell me just what rate is the power up that way.. with all that darkness do you guys have to pay a load too? Or do you have solar etc..
Where I live is about third highest "power" rates in the country... Those have gone up... don't recall what it cost per month... but what really hurts is what you would call in the States, the sales tax, ours is 23%... that hurts. I know if I go around saying, "Give me liberty or give me death", I will find myself against the wall with a blindfold.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Where I live is about third highest "power" rates in the country... Those have gone up... don't recall what it cost per month... but what really hurts is what you would call in the States, the sales tax, ours is 23%... that hurts. I know if I go around saying, "Give me liberty or give me death", I will find myself against the wall with a blindfold.
Well we sure do no t want that! Death is not a life here. SO is there a lot of wind power or solar going on over there? Use o d a wood burning stove etc.. I know I would love to be cooking on a wood burning stove one that will of course heat the water as well it would seem to bring more balance to life it will be..." take the your shower boys when I am heating the house via cooking breakfast or dinner and we would not have to worry about heat when the power goes out.. it would cut down the bill as well..
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:06 PM   #14

Slight dark humour about "death", taken from a quote from the Revolutionary War. By the way, my wife's aunt has a wood burning stove... those things are great! And they still sell them here in Finland
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:05 PM   #15

Which "Revolutionary War" is that?
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:32 PM   #16

I complain about how short the winter days are here in Vermont, but we have lots more daylight than you guys do. On the shortest day of the year (just a few weeks from now) we have slightly less than 9 hours of daylight. But on thing I love about this time of year is that when it's not cloudy (which it often is), the light is beautiful, low angle light, even at noon. The sun never gets very high in the sky at this time of year.

Ned, I also like your photo a lot. As Mole pointed out, you did a very good job of not blowing out any of the highlights in the snow.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Which "Revolutionary War" is that?
"Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" is a famous quotation attributed to Patrick Henry from a speech he made to the Virginia Convention on 23 May 1775. One of the big issues was unbearable TAXATION without representation. So I was making light of 23% sales we have here in Finland.

Anyway, happy shooting (with a camera I mean...)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Ned, I also like your photo a lot. As Mole pointed out, you did a very good job of not blowing out any of the highlights in the snow.
Many thanks for kind comments! Vemont is fabulous States. You must have tons of places to shoot there. All the best.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:06 AM   #19

Ned, that shot is rendered so well. The sun's color reflecting on the snow has been captured beautifully.

Stay warm!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:13 AM   #20

Oh, THAT revolutionary war!!

A point of English, Eetu. In Britain at any rate the expression is "the nights are drawing in", not "pulling in".
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote