Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:24 PM   #1

Default PSE8 Layers VS. Topaz ReMask 3

Hi Pentaxians. I know that there are a lot of good photo-processing experts in this forum, so I thought I would ask the following. I have an offer to get Topaz ReMask3 for a discount price. But I wonder which is better before using time and effort to learn, PSE8 layers OR Topaz ReMask 3???

If you want to see what ReMask can do you can see a glimpse at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zrDGQdLCTA

Anyway, if anyone could lend some advice it would be appreciate. It just seems that Topaz ReMask has a lot to, such as being able to remove a tree, etc.

Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:05 PM   #2

Hopefully someone else will chime in. I only have PSE6 and I don't think it supports layer masks (at least I couldn't find it the couple of times I used it - it's on my hubby's computer). If PSE8 has them then perhaps ReMask wouldn't be as useful as I'd find it with PSE6. If it's like PSE6 then it would be nice - from the sounds of it, it works much like a layer mask will, where you have lots of options for adjusting your selection. PSE has the quick selection tool that's very useful for selecting something with relatively hard edges, but it's not quite like using a layer mask where you can make infinite adjustments by painting on it to either show or not show something. If you make a mistake it's easy to correct as you haven't erased anything, you've just covered it up. From what I can see, ReMask works similarly, but since I did something wrong the time I tried ReMask 2, I'm not positive. I think ReMask 3 will fit my way of thinking much more, but I haven't really tried it yet (downloaded the upgrade last night).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:47 PM   #3

Sorry, I can't be of any help at all. I have PSE 6, and have never used ReMask.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:32 AM   #4

Hi Ned,

I've been playing with Remask 3 for about the last day, and is an improvement on Remask 2. I use it with PSP 9 and X2 and the claimed improvement in the interface is as claimed. It's a lot easier and better than other masking generators I've used, but many I've trialed aren't really compatible with PSP, so of course they don't work for me. . .

I've not tried Adobe's masking layers so I can't give you an evaluation of how effective it is, but I can say that Remask 3 is very powerful, and if you have occasion to mask intricate objects, it's probably the best I've seen demoed. I need something that will work for me without a very steep learning curve, and Topaz stuff doesn't bend my brain too far. . .YMMV.

I think I'd download the trial and try it out, comparing it to the Adobe method. If you think it's worthwhile, then buy it. I think that Topaz intro discounts are great deals if you find the plugins useful. I must admit to be a Topaz fan. . .

It must be said that I don't do a lot of masking, so a method that I don't have to relearn every time I use it is a blessing. With Remask 3 I might find a lot of new uses though -- already found a few. . . I've found the mask generators in PSP to be horribly opaque to my understanding, which is unusual since I've been using different PSP versions for quite a few years and most of the tools I find to be very intuitive.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:28 AM   #5

Wow, Scott, many thanks, indeed, for taking the time to write. From what it seems, or what I hear, Topaz ReMask 3 is supposed to be a big improvement from version 2. And, it helps with dealing with details. I saw the demo, which I pasted above... the man easily took out a tree. Well I photograph lakes and trees. There are some "intricate" things, now and then, where I wish I could remove something that really fights against the compostion. I could be dead wrong, but it seems that PhotoShop Elements 8, the mask or layers system seem more basic compared to Topaz's ReMask 3. Thanks again Scott. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote