Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:20 AM   #1

Default Icy Waterfalls, part 2

After our little jaunt up Clark's Creek area, we planned another icy waterfall hike in the Dick's Creek area.

Dick's Creek flows out of Unaka Mt Wilderness area down into Rock Creek Park in Erwin Tennessee. Although I've hiked a lot in the upper part of Unaka Mt Wilderness, have never had a chance to visit Dick's Creek.

Was told of two waterfalls along the creek, both requiring some off-trail hiking. First is supposed to be easy to find (just a few 100 yards off a forest service road), second a bit trickier (further off-trail).
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:21 AM   #2

Did not take a lot of photos along the way - time was short, there were miles to cover, and the dogs were really wanting to run (they kept scenting bears - and we did see a fair amount of bear tracks in the snow!)

We made it to lower Dick's Creek Falls with no trouble. Here's a view from above this about 20' high falls.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:23 AM   #3

It was a fairly easy climb on down into the grotto and pools below the falls to get a very different view of lower Dick's Creek Falls. Here are several perspectives from below the falls - any preferences?
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:24 AM   #4

It's probably only a mile from lower to upper Dick's Creek Falls, but most of it was off-trail, so it took a while... We could hear the falls well before finding them. The trickiest part was finding a safe way down the side of the steep banks and icy cliffs to get to the falls.
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:25 AM   #5

It's a time of rather low water, and so these upper falls did not show a lot of flow. But there were some amazing ice formations! Here's a wider view of nearly all the falls (which white balance works better?)
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:28 AM   #6

Here are a few more views of some details from the upper falls:
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:30 AM   #7

One good thing about off-trail hiking in the snow - it's easy to backtrack by just following your footprints! So we made it back well before dark, safe and relatively dry, and eager for more winter hiking!

Hope you enjoyed this glimpse of the icy falls, and will share your comments, critique, and suggestions!
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:53 PM   #8

Both these threads are wonderful Mole. I really like your silky waterfalls in the summer, and I think I like your winter waterfalls even more!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:47 PM   #9

Another awesome series! I can't pick a favorite, maybe the first one, but your details of the upper falls are also outstanding. I'm not sure it makes a huge amount of difference on the two with the white balance difference - I think the first one looks more white, but there's a little green in the plants on the rocks that the first one doesn't have that's nice. I think I prefer the second but only slightly. It's an awesome picture either way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:22 AM   #10

Some gorgeous shots (#1 is my fav) - I think I actually like these better than Summer shots of the falls.

Of those where you asked for feedback :
Lower Dick's Creek Falls - #2 - the added greenery at the top and the pool in the foreground add something.

Upper Falls : the first shot, I like the colours better, though TBH it loses something by not having the greenery the right colours but #2 looks close to being blown out at the top and the lower levels of saturation mean #1 is my choice. Only you know which one is closer to the 'true' scene though (I suspect #2).

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote