Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:05 PM   #1

Default new lenses

I had inquired about some lenses a guy had for sale on CL a while before Thanksgiving. He had only posted images you couldn't tell what they were. Once he sent me the specs I decided against the lenses. Well, a few days ago he wrote me and said he hadn't had any luck selling them and wanted to give them to me. I couldn't take them from him for nothing, so gave him $20. He said he was just going to throw them away. He had told me before he was selling them to buy his kids some Christmas presents.

Within the past few weeks someone had posted about not wanting to get a lens stuck on their camera. Well, I can't find it to view the images of the pin. (Yes, Lou. I'm blind again.)

Anyway, I'm open to any comments on these three lenses. Including if the pins on the Sigma are anything I need to worry about. When I had first looked at them I tried searching on the net for anything about them, but wasn't very successful.

The three lenses, in case you can't read the writing -
Sigma 80-200mm 1:4.5~5.6
Gemini 135mm/2.8
Rokinon 28mm/2.8

I have all these ranges covered, including ended up buying a Pentax 28mm/2.8 which is what I'd been looking for when I found this guys post. So, they aren't to fill any gaps. So, I won't be hurt if you tell me these are all trash lenses. At least I'll have made a donation to the guys Christmas fund and have three new paperweights.

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:11 PM   #2

The Sigma lens is the only one with the Ricoh pin - in the last photo it is the pin one on the left. That lens is the only one with the "A" setting on the aperture ring.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:35 PM   #3

Its a fairly easy fix, Patty. If you don't feel comfortable doing it your self, send it to me and I'll fix it and send it back. Consider it my Xmas gift to you.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:16 PM   #4

Okay. So, only the Sigma I need to worry about right now. I didn't feel well enough yesterday to play with the other lenses to see if they were any good. And, today I've been trying to get caught up with stuff.

So, the pin I need to remove is at the 7 o'clock position in the last image? Is that right? I just did some searches and am not having any luck finding a link that works to tell how to fix this. I did find one, but the lens does not look like mine.

GW, I may take you up on your offer. Let me see what I can find tomorrow.

So, no comments on the lenses? Are these junk lenses?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Okay.
So, the pin I need to remove is at the 7 o'clock position in the last image? Is that right? I just did some searches and am not having any luck finding a link that works to tell how to fix this. I did find one, but the lens does not look like mine.

So, no comments on the lenses? Are these junk lenses?
Patty
Yes, the pin at 7 o'clock is the one. The Sigma should be a decent lens, but all these are "consumer grade" lenses. Rokina's lenses were widely sold, but not expensive - you'll just have to try it to see - it looks like a nice, compact lens for a 2.8. Gemini looks like an importer/retailer's label or a house brand - I don't think I haver heard about it. Where's Big Dawg when we need him?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Yes, the pin at 7 o'clock is the one. The Sigma should be a decent lens, but all these are "consumer grade" lenses. Rokina's lenses were widely sold, but not expensive - you'll just have to try it to see - it looks like a nice, compact lens for a 2.8. Gemini looks like an importer/retailer's label or a house brand - I don't think I haver heard about it. Where's Big Dawg when we need him?
He's busy taking photos with his Cat!
Patty, just holler if ya need me.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote