Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:01 AM   #1

Default Samsung GX10-20

Hi, I have been using the GX10 for a year or two and have just bought the GX20, finding the focus a tad soft with the 20 !!! anyone else had trouble with this problem ??? any suggestions would be gratefull !!!

Regards Tom
Maxsamsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:49 PM   #2

Hey, Tom.
I had the GX10 before getting the Pentax K20 so, I don't have any experience with the GX20. But, it should be close to the K20 in most ways. before answering your question, I need a little more info. What lens or lenses are you using and are you having trouble with all of them?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:59 PM   #3

sometimes focus adjustment is needed - can work fine with one body and need adjustment on others i - it could be also that the gx20 is higher resolution mp and your seeing the softness at 100% but if scaled to the same size as those from your gx10 the result would be the same - basically the lens in this example wouldn't be as good as the sensor

but i think the first idea is the most likely print off a focus chart and check it
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:34 PM   #4

In a not-so-serious way I have found that every time I move up to a better camera I am at first disappointed by the results until I learn what is necessary to get the most from the camera. Pentax Optio 33L to Fuji S7000 to Pentax *istDL to Pentax K10D and now the K20D which I haven't gotten to try yet. Each was a big step up but at first gave results that were not immediately apparent as an improvement. With a little tweaking of the controls I soon had the full benefit of the improvement.

Two observations, each time increase resolution and then view the results at 100% you see an image which appears less sharp. Secondly the higher the resolution the more critical lens quality and focus accuracy are WHEN VIEWED AT 100%, at print size they may not be apparent.

Check your autofocus for each lens and adjust if necessary and enjoy. Pixel peeping is not always a productive method to gauge image quality so after you have made your adjustments make some prints and see how they look.

Good luck.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:56 AM   #5

I only shoot Raw, so when you find the focus a bit soft I guess it's the sharpness settings of the camera.

Dpreview talks about setting the sharpness higher. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk20d/page15.asp

I'm sure the GX20 has the same settings

Cheers

Ronny
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:39 PM   #6

There's two things that come to mind. First, I found the K20 out-resolved the kit lens I had and so all of a sudden I could see faults that I hadn't noticed before. So I'd be interested in what lenses you are using.

The second thing I found is that not all of my lenses focused the same way with the K20 as they had with the K10. In the case of the 50-135, it focused much better than it had on the K10. The 12-24 front focused a bit with the K20, while it was more accurate on the K10. The K20 has the ability to adjust the focus - does the Samsung have that capability also? If so, you can shoot a bunch of focus charts to see if that's part of the problem.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:47 AM   #7

Hi, Thanks for all the replys, I use all Sigma lenes, mostly the 70-200 f2.8. i will try some of your suggestions and get back to you !!!

Many thanks Tom.
Maxsamsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:09 PM   #8

The sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a good lens, my first thought would be either front or back focus issues. I find shooting focus charts very frustrating. Make sure that the chart you choose can only be focused on a center line - I once tried a chart that had all sorts of black lines and my camera consistently chose a lower or upper line to focus on (the sensor is larger than the little red square that lights up). Changed to a chart that had faint grey marks that the camera wouldn't focus on unless it was outside in bright sunlight - that made a huge difference. A chart that's white in the center except for the focus line also works well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote