Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:26 AM   #1

Default Shot At Disney with K7

Shot this at Disney with my K7.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...GP0366_HDR.jpg
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:28 PM   #2

Nice shot, Tony!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:56 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm really starting to enjoy my K7, after buying a few plugins for Aperture, I think it will hold me over till the price really drops on the K5.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:54 AM   #4

Hi Tony,

The Samsung 14 MP sensor (and consequently the K-7 expecially) has gotten a bad rap, IMO.

I've been thinking about this, and here's my take. . .

Pentax and Samsung launched a joint venture into DSLR development in a situation where both could potentially benefit.

Samsung gained a partner with a lot of experience in building DSLRs and quality lenses for them. Pentax gained a partner with deep pockets, extensive electronics expertise and manufacturing capabilities, and a ready made worldwide distribution chain, especially in the exploding Asian markets of China and India.

Pentax had always contracted for sensors for at least 2 generations of cameras in the past. As one of the smallest players, the only way to get decent pricing is to commit for more than one model. -- the Sony 6MP powered the D, DS, DL DS2, DL2, K100, K110, and K100DS. Essentially the same 10 MP sensor was used in the K10 and Km, then came the Samsung connection, and the K20 (and future K-7). By the time the Kx started development, the Samsung connection had already started to sour, so Pentax was free to use Sony as the sensor source again, and the Exmoor 12 MP that was just being released was easily the best out there, but the K-7 was already deep in the development cycle with what was supposed to be an updated 4 channel K20 sensor. I think that Samsung had already made the decision to pull the plug on developing APS-C sensors, and just delivered a 4 ch version with little other development other than cooler operation for video and a faster pipeline for higher FPS.

Pentax was already committed both design-wise and contractually to go with the Samsung sensor in an otherwise ground-breaking semi-pro body. Being a small player, they really didn't have much leverage against the largest electronics corporation in the world. . . Don't forget that the Samsung 14MP sensor was (unfortunately for just a short time with the K20) the highest resolution APS-C CMOS sensor -- and gave admirable performance as such. It used (at the time revolutionary) technology to miniaturize circuitry to allow for larger micro lens surface for each sensel. Canon trumped it with it's 7D 18MP sensor, and Sony's 12MP Exmoor sensor blew it away with a manufacturing process that eliminated the circuitry on the sensor surface and placed it underneath, allowing for dramatically increased microlens surface. . .and heretofore unseen high ISO performance and Dynamic Range.

There was no 14 or 16MP Exmoor sensor at the time, and though the death of the MP race had been predicted 4 years ago, this never materialized, MP count still held a place in perceived quality, and it was also perceived that a backward step in resolution on a flagship model would be a step back. Pentax was forced into a choice of going with a now obsolete sensor or breaking it's contract with the largest electronics company in the world. Perhaps they could have gone with the Sony 12Mp Exmoor, but was it available in a 4 channel design? If not, then the K-7 frame rate would suffer. . . Would it be perceived as a backward step for the new flagship to offer lower resolution? I'm sure the marketing dept had some say here. . .Would using the same sensor in it's new entry level (Kx) cannibalize sales from the flagship since IQ would likely be close to the same, and there would be a significant price differential? I think they took the path of least resistance and ultimately made the right decision. It's easy to be critical when it's not your money on the line. . .especially in hindsight. . .

The K-7 was unfortunately stuck with the best downdraft carburetor just when Sony was releasing the first Turbo charged injected version. The model was victimized by a huge technological breakthrough and saddled with a contract with a source who no longer gave a dam*.

I'm probably overstating the case, looking through rose colored glasses, and voicing a "fanboy" attitude, but I think that this hardly balances the overly negative reputation attributed to the K-7 IQ.

Personally, I've captured my best ever images with the K-7, and found it to give me images that were easier to PP than any previous sensor. Certainly, it's high ISO is trumped by the Sony Exmoors, and even the low ISO is beaten by the K10's CCD, but I've done my best photography with the K20 and K-7, and I'll continue to use them. The K-7 might not score as high (barely) as the K20 at DXO, but I still find the images I get easier to deal with in PP due to the lower chroma noise levels, but maybe that's just me. . .

The K-5 is amazing, and a very welcome addition to the family. It will become my main body, but the K-7 will gracefully take over as second string, and will continue be used extensively.

Just venting my 2 on this subject. . .

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; Dec 19, 2010 at 4:14 AM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:40 AM   #5

Great shot Tony
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:48 AM   #6

@snowstorm,
I completely agree with you that the samsung 14mp wasn't bad at all. It was imho also a step up from the sensor in the K10.

A few years back everybody was talking about the end of the pixel race and that the sensitivity would only go down when there where more pixels. That more software processing would be used to get the desired results, and then the exmore sensor changes the story again.

Now the other sensor builders have to wake up.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:13 PM   #7

I'm another that loved the pictures I got from the K20 (but then, my K10 had AF problems). I was delighted to get rid of my K10, but now there are those who talk about how it was a classic camera. I think that as the K7 gets replaced, there will be those who will finally realize just how capable both the K20 and K7 really are.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:15 PM   #8

Very cool!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:39 PM   #9

Thanks Scott. Very good explanation. Really enjoyed it.