Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:08 PM   #1

Default New DIY Softbox...

Yes, I know I haven't even finished the first one yet (waiting on materials) but I wanted to start on a larger one for use in my studio. I started this one before I bought the pair of Daynaphos but, I still want to have the use of this one too.
I skipped photos of every step but any DIYer worth his salt should be able to figure out how things were done. If for any strange reason someone actually wants to build one and needs more info, I'll be happy to furnish whatever info that's needed.
I had free access to a couple of 1/4" foam boards that we use at work to make posters, signs and whatever. These are fairly light weight and easy to work with. All the tools needed are a long straight edge and a sharp utility knife.
I wanted to make on as large as I could with the size boards I had and this is what I came up with. 36X22.5

Draw them out with a sharpy pen then using the straight edge and utility knife cut the out. on the top and lower flange you want to cut about 3/4 of the way through then you can bend the board with out breaking it. The grove you made when you bend the joint will be filled later with white caulking.

Correction on the bottom flange should be 2" not 3"

Head on view of the wide side.

And the front view after filling seams with caulking. it not only makes for a nicer finish but, also acts like a glue to hold all the sides together.

This photo show the front panel I made from an old window screen and a sheet of ripstop nylon

Here is the final shot for this series, I just used a low wattage lamp to see what it would look like in a darkened room.

Now, once I get the light sockets 5 of them and the mounting bracket finished I'll post the finished product!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:51 AM   #2

Great work GW,

you said you were going to use a small part of your work shed as a studio. The way it's going you're gonna have a small work shed in your studio
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great work GW,

you said you were going to use a small part of your work shed as a studio. The way it's going you're gonna have a small work shed in your studio
LOL! You are just about right, Ronny.
I still have to figure out where I'm going to put my table saw and a few other items but its getting there.
(slowly)

Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4

GW, nice work! My attention was drawn to "empty every night" Im glad something else feels my pain! :/
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:33 AM   #5

LOL! That's a fire safety can for shop rags. I got it when we were making room for my new digital press at work. The boss said take it home so, I did.
(We don't use the shop towels on the new machine.)