Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:00 PM   #1

Default Early Morning HDR

Some early morning (pre-dawn) HDR pictures. All taken with the K7. The first two with the DA 55-300 the second two with the DA 12-24.

Thought this looked very appropriate for the season:

Construction Site:

Westwood (notice the Tron poster):

These photos are all HDR - 5 frame auto exposure set and then combined with Photomatix. While the first one is close to what I perceived when looking through the viewfinder, the other three are not - there was no real feeling of light in the sky at all. The tron poster was dark, the lighted billboards much brighter. You could barely see the red crane (though there was a hint of blue by the time I took that shot).

I'm not home at the moment, so I'm using my laptop's monitor. I hope they look all right.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:27 PM   #2

I think they look fine and I am amazed that they came out as well as they did with the amount of light you had to work with. Great job! Frank
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:48 PM   #3

All of them look great, Harriet!
I think That's my old film K 1000 camera there in the first one.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:00 PM   #4

I agree -- they all look great. I have never dabbled in HDR, but these results are really impressive. I guess I'm going to have to get on the bandwagon eventually.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:37 PM   #5

Thanks - I'm never quite sure about things on the laptop. The Spyder calibrates it very well, but it tends to wander a bit after a while. I made a point of re-calibrating it the night before we left.

I love that camera, makes a wonderful subject for HDR.

I find HDR very rewarding when it works, but they don't always come out right. And I find the over-the-top type of pictures OK in small doses, and still haven't taken a series/subject that really looks good that way. I much prefer this type of thing, where it looks natural, where you aren't aware of the process.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:49 PM   #6

Laptops are seldom really accurate but these images are very very good, all the detail promised by HDR without the haloing and colour shift issues.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:56 AM   #7

There are some laptops around with wide gamut displays, but they are expensive and you really have to pay attention to calibration. And yes - I'd like to have one... but for now I live with a standard "it can show colors" TFT display

As for the images - I like #1, but I am puzzled about the strict color division on the street, orange on the right (I know that kind of street lamps), but turquoise/cyan on the left of the tree. What's this?

Yes - the camera sees more and other things than you. At times this is faszinating, at times I could my head bang on a wall. Especially in low light environment it seldom produces what I think it should - compared to what I saw I mean.

That being said - I like the images, although I am unsure about sky and buildings... with the sky looking rather unimpressive I think I would have included more of the buildings - but that's personal taste. Also the distortion is quite high. The colors in the Tron poster image are great as this comes out quite natural (as in: looks like I remember it) on my monitor.

I took your image and cropped 2:1 after removing most of the distortion effect. It's a "tighter" look I think, might not be for everyone. Just an idea - and I hope you don't mind the pp.

Kind regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:13 AM   #8

All are good but like #1 the best and the crop of #3 done by thkn777...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:14 AM   #9

I like these a lot, especially the crane shot. It doesn't look natural, but has a "warholly" feeling to it somehow.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:02 AM   #10

I never mind people changing my stuff. I had thought about correcting the wide-angle perspective of that shot, but then didn't bother. I took it with the intention of perhaps picking up some clouds but everything was too low and featureless, otherwise I might have used something longer and with less distortion. While I was quite pleased how Photomatix handled the pictures, the two cityscapes aren't exactly the most exciting pictures in the world.

The color reflected in the wet pavement is from traffic lights. I think. There could be some type of storefront display lighting being reflected also, but I think most of it is from the traffic lights.