Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:22 PM   #11

Well, I like ambient low light, so I really do not need a flash. I like my lenses and I have acquired the ones that suite my interests - landscape. I do wish that Customs would finally clear my K mount lens for the Zeiss lens that I have sitting on my desk, so that I could get it converted. I have a couple of Acra-Swiss plates to get so that everything is interchangeable on my tripods.

The dynamic range on the K5 with the 80 ISO would I think help, however my K20 is still working just fine - and I really do not want to allocate the funds right now. I would like to wait till the K3 is announced as I am finding that staying a model generation behind seems to work well for me. So maybe next Christmas. I think, till then - I am set. I just need some better skills, and opportunities.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:29 PM   #12

I've got most focal lengths covered pretty well this year (see signature) and the purchasing of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 has now beautifully filled a very obvious gap.

The K5 will be mine mine mine in January - my precioussss !

As far as lenses go I just need to improve the quality at the far end so it's the 60-250 or *300 next up. Though a *200 - 500 / 4 would be perfect - even if I could lift it I doubt I could afford it ! The *50-135 looks very tempting but I'm trying to stay as far away as possible from that and the 16-50 as these seem to have the highest SDM failure rates. The Sigma 50-150/2.8 looks a very nice alternative.

As always I'll be keeping an eye out on the local version of EBay for low cost bargains of lenses I might otherwise not have bought !

I would like a 540 FGZ but ...... I hardly ever use flash except to fill (having twin, very powerful, LEDs for macro).

Anyway here's hoping Santa fills your sacks with Pentax goodies .... but at the very worst that you all have a lovely Xmas and that 2011 fulfills your hopes & dreams & more !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I sure would love to stumble into a FA*600, but that's a day-dream.
its possible to stumble into them - problem is that the price will likely break your legs as you trip over it - i actually heard recently from someone that even though not official if you contact pentax directly you can still get them on special order but i dread tot hink at what cost

personally i think pentax should make a DA* version - minimal research needed and a complete line of long telephoto lenses would increase sales of the entire system as it gained a more professional reputation

now if we are dreaming about the ideal telephoto lens line up then lets add these

DA* 200-400mm f4-5.6 OS

DA* 300 f2.8

DA* 400 f4 OS

DA* 600 f4 OS
DA* 600 f5.6 OS

DA* 1.4x TC
DA* 2x TC

yup optical stablisation - sigma has shown that you can happily have access to both systems and longer focal lengths benefit from having it in the lens - with these lenses would finally be able to refute the lens superiority of canikon - ahhh sadly dont think that will happen any time soon
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:50 AM   #14

Lovely line-up John but can't see it ever happening. Pentax have a great foothold in the amateur and prosumer markets and aren't likely to jeopardise their new status but taking a gamble on the pro market when their chance of attracting CaNikon pros is near zero (no FF and no current range of long lenses).

IMO Pentax have shown us their future direction with the new 645. Chances are the APS-C will continue to improve and then a FF camera will no longer be considered a necessity in the line-up, with the 645 available for non-sports shooting pros.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:19 AM   #15

yeah i know its virtually guarenteed to never happen but i would settle for the 300 f2.8 an the TC's that gets you to 600mm f5.6 pretty acceptable and perhaps if we push our luck slightly the 200-400mm perhaps downgrade it from DA* to just WR
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:04 AM   #16

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

How about a DA* 70-200 f/2.8. I would have been willing to pay up to USD 2000 for one. At the present time, the only choice is Sigma or Tamron.

Gear aside, I would love a Mentor Series Photo Trek in my stocking tonight though!!!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:41 AM   #17

Well, I have to say that while I've been a Pentaxian for quite a while, I've always wanted something a bit better from their DSLRs. That means that while I've liked and purchased their DSLRs (and enjoyed using them), I wished for things like better auto-focus performance, faster burst modes, bigger buffer, etc. Pretty much like all of us. But now, for the first time, I think Pentax's DSLRs are exactly where they should be.

I wish the K-r offered WR (like my K200D). But other than that, it's a great mid-line camera. The K-x is still an excellent entry-level DSLR (and a fantastic bargain). And the K-5 is simply one of the best APS-C cameras on the planet. The K-5 is in my sights... although I think I will control myself and wait until the body-only drops to $1000 or less. I realize that will probably be another year away. Maybe next Christmas.

As far as lenses are concerned, my days for $1000-plus glass are over, although I hope most of my fellow Pentaxians get the lenses they are asking for. Myself, I think Pentax should really introduce a DA 135-400 (f/3.5-5.6 if possible) to go with the new DA 18-135. WR and new zoom motor, of course, Optical performance should be as least as good as the DA 55-300 (and a bit better if possible).

I may still begin buying DA Limited primes... but I'm waiting to see what Pentax does on the mirrorless front in 2011. In my dreams, the Pentax mirrorless camera will take DA Limiteds without an adaptor. Hey, I can dream, can't I? Speaking of DA Limiteds, I think there are two on the top of my list: the 70 for portrait work and the 21. Maybe people find the 21mm focal length a bit odd. But it works out to the same focal length on APS-C as the legendary FA 31 Limited on a full-frame/film body. Great for indoor work with less distortion, greater sharpness and a bit more speed than the DA 15 Limited.

And, by the way, a very Merry Christmas to all my fellow Pentaxians and fellow members of Steve's Digicams forums!

Last edited by Biro; Dec 24, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:49 AM   #18

What I wish for:

A K5 (at a K-R price? )
An AF540 (at a Sigma 530 Super price? )
A DA*16-50mm (at a Tamron 17-50mm price? )

What I will get:
2 Corinthians 12:9
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

And that is my wish for all of you on the Pentax forums, the greatest gift of all - Merry Christmas!

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
How about a DA* 70-200 f/2.8. I would have been willing to pay up to USD 2000 for one. At the present time, the only choice is Sigma or Tamron.

Gear aside, I would love a Mentor Series Photo Trek in my stocking tonight though!!!

Jehan

well a while back i agreed with you but then it struck me - k5 is fantastic at high iso so f2.8 not as crucial as it used to be so brought me to the 60-250mm f4 - yeah its abit slower but as noted high iso performance continues to improve all the time and anyway with telephoto lenses shallow depth of field is not an issue anyway well it can be but not because its not shallow enough instead because its too shallow so would rather have the slightly slower aperture and gain the increased focal length

on a side note took some pictures of my nephew this evening - dim tungsten lit shots and i know my k7 failed miserably at both high iso and focus accuracy doing similar shot just the other day - K5 SPOT ON!!!! as far as i can tell from lcd there is no noise to speak off at all at iso 1600 and focus was fast no hunting and perfectly accurate

so pentax has at least got autofocus sorted - only thing to add will be predictive tracking which will need afew more autofocus points i guess - hmm wonder what else the K3 will have...... hehe had k5 for 2 days and already dreaming about the next one =) technology manufacturers love people like me!!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:01 PM   #20

My dream would be the K-5 with the video I wanted from the beginning. But, I know it's a long ways off. I've recently gotten quite a few used lenses that I haven't even had energy to play with yet. Pentax 28/2.8, Sigma 80-200/ 4.5-5.6, Gemini 135/2.8, Rokinon 28/2.8. And, purchased a new Pentax 18-55WR.

I think what I'd really like and need is to learn to use my camera to it's full potential. I'd hoped to spend my time on short-term disability to do that, but haven't had as much "free" time as I'd liked. So, that's my wish. Nothing Pentax can do anything about. It's all me.

My last wish would be that all my fellow forum members have a wonderful holiday tomorrow, however you celebrate.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote