Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:32 PM   #1

Default What we want? What we wish?

Well my Pentax K5 arrived today - not had a chance to do anything with it yet sadly just got it setup and the new firmware installed - but rumours of the river being frozen in my local town means an outing tomorrow i think anyway still waiting on my da*16-50mm to arrive but since i'm getting pretty far along in my Pentax want list thought i would ask people what they want from Pentax next both real and imagined?

my next want though it really is a want only since i dont think i would use it enough to justify it would be the DA* 55mm f1.4 - i love the effect of my pentax A 50mm f1.4 but without autofocus its not an easy lens to use to its full potential so throw in the 55mm being weather sealed too and bang on the want list but almost certainly to remain there unless i take up professional portraiture as its not cheap for a 50mm prime!!!

next up is abit more challenging since pentax needs to produce them first
but thinking a DA* 300 f2.8 would be nice and to compliment it and nicely round out the pentax telephoto lens line up without going silly a 1.4 and 2x SDM/screwdrive teleconverters with DA* weather seals - that would give upto 600mm at f5.6 - i could live with that!!!!

so what about you guys, what camera/lens/flash would you like from pentax both from what they have available and your wishlist?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:02 PM   #2

Hm,
I'd say a monopod is next on my wishlist and then I'll upgrade my DL2 with a focussing screen. That way I'll get the K-r with all the nice automatic toys for the AF lenses and can use the DL2 in (almost) full manual mode.

Then probably a wide angle lens (a lot wider than the kit lens).

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:28 PM   #3

10-17mm fisheye wide or 12-24mm pointy sharp wide? thought about going for the 10-17mm but in the end chickened out and went for the 12-24mm (helped that i got it brand new for less than half price )
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:32 PM   #4

Hi John,

I'm pretty much set for lenses, and though I have both an AF 360 FGZ and an AF 540 FGZ, I'd really like a very compact tilt head P-TTL flash like the Canon EX270 Speedlite. It doesn't have to have a lot of power, just be easily pocketable, be able to be bounced, and be fully P-TTL compatible, including the ability to be used as a remote wireless TTL slave, and priced at under $150 USD.

With the great high ISO performance of the newest models (Kx, Kr, and K-5) we don't need a lot of power -- we can substitute higher ISO to make up for lack of power, and bounce capability can eliminate the typical flash look that's so unattractive. At under $150, it would sell like hotcakes, IMO. Even if it lacked wireless remote TTL capability and a lot of advanced features, I'd still buy it. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:47 PM   #5

anyone else ever wonder why flashes are so expensive? for cost of a top of the line pentax flash you can buy and entire studio lighting kit - seems crazy so yeah a cheap p-ttl flash would be a good idea for pentax

maybe we should send a dear santa letter to pentax headquaters =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:12 PM   #6

I'm hoping Pentax brings out something around a 400 MM F 5.6...same quality as the DA 300mm.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
10-17mm fisheye wide or 12-24mm pointy sharp wide? thought about going for the 10-17mm but in the end chickened out and went for the 12-24mm (helped that i got it brand new for less than half price )
I have both...like them both. I find the 10-17 mm fisheye a lens that you can really get interesting pictures out of..and not just fisheye...it stretches out hoods (bonnets in the UK) on car such as '30's Jags.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:14 PM   #8

Quote:
No fisheye for me! And less than half the price... woah.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:35 PM   #9

My want/wish is for a K5. Doesn't look like it will happen any time soon ( ). My next desire is the FA 31 Ltd. and perhaps the DA*16-50 (want a high-end weather sealed lens). Wouldn't turn down a 1.7 AFA or a lens that's longer than 300 mm, the TC being higher than a long lens. All those might eventually end up in my possession. For a pie-in-the-sky desire, I sure would love to stumble into a FA*600, but that's a day-dream.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:48 PM   #10

Quote:
anyone else ever wonder why flashes are so expensive? for cost of a top of the line pentax flash you can buy and entire studio lighting kit - seems crazy so yeah a cheap p-ttl flash would be a good idea for pentax

maybe we should send a dear santa letter to pentax headquaters =)
I agree with this one. Metz has recently introduced some new flash units (Mecablitz 24, 36, 44 AF Digital) including ones for Pentax with P-TTL. Pricing seems to be fairly reasonable. However, from looking at some of the online sellers it appears that most if not all models are currently out of stock/back ordered. A problem perhaps with the initial supply from Metz.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote