Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:47 PM   #1

Default huge light bulbs!

Here is a little follow up on my DIY soft box light that I started making last month.
I ordered 3, 65 watt, 6500k daylight fluorescent light bulbs that equal 300 watts of tungsten lighting. All together that gives me 900 watts of nice soft lighting.
I knew these were a bit larger than ordinary bulbs but, I was surprised at just how big. This shot should give a fair idea, the small one is a 30 watt =100 watt.

Here's a product shot, if anyone wants to know where to get these, I'll be happy to share.

I wired the bulbs up to see how bright they are going to be and I think I'm going to be pleased with them. Here's a quick shot of the way I'm setting them up for use in the soft box. Soon as I get the fixture completed I'll post more photos of it. It's just too cold to be working in my shop today!

These are different color parts because I'm buying pieces at a local bargain store to keep the cost down...

This might make it a little clearer on the parts I'm using. I had to cut off about 1 inch of the collar on each fixture to allow the lamp to screw into the base. This will be wired with a three way switch so I can choose 1,2 or 3 bulbs.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:56 PM   #2

It'll be interesting to see how this ends up - while I wouldn't have thought about using big CF bulbs, there will be some advantages doing it that way. Can't wait to see how it works when you get it finished.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:55 PM   #3

Thanks for commenting, Harriet. I'm anxious to see how it works out too.
I was working on trying to get it done tonight, when the fixture fell off the bench broke one of the lamp holders. Not a big deal to fix but, means a trip back to the store and it made me frustrated enough to quit for the night. It was eight o'clock anyway so, Ill finish it tomorrow. I have a couple pics of my progress I'll post later.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote