Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:39 PM   #11

Congratulations on the K5, mtngal!

Looks like you have found a new friend, at least for the next 2 years...? Enjoy and shoot, shoot, shoot - that's what new cameras are for.

Best regards,
Walter

BTW - the snow-pics look great!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:15 PM   #12

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions re. noise levels with the new sensor.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:03 PM   #13

In spite of all that agonizing, I knew you wouldn't be able to hold out for long - you and that camera were meant for each other! If anyone can, I'm sure you will be the one to bring out the best in it. I look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Last edited by penolta; Dec 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:26 PM   #14

Santa was very good to you this year. Congrats on the new camera. I can't wait to see the results.
StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:42 PM   #15

Thanks for the congrats!

GW - they do have more pop, but I can't put my finger on what it is that makes them that way.

Walter - I do think this is the camera I'm going to stick with for longer than I have in the past. It does seem to fit very well. Thanks for the compliment on the snow pictures, mine are fun but don't come close to your awesome ones!

Jelpee - the difference in noise is unbelievable to me. I was very surprised to find that ISO 10,000 only needed a bit of noise reduction. ISO 800 doesn't need any unless you push the picture a lot.

I'm not going to be using HDR as much as I did with the K7. The amount of detail in the shadows is amazing, especially compared to the K7. I didn't adjust exposure all that much because the minute you started lightening the pictures would become unacceptably noisy. More on that in the next thread (some pictures from today).

Scott - I haven't even used Live View yet - thanks for the focusing information and suggestion. I'll try that and see what happens - I still think I might want to do a small global adjustment for front focusing, but am still not sure whether it's really needed.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:04 AM   #16

Great examples with the new K5. I am sure that you will explore it to its maximum potential and I look forward to seeing more of your work with this new photographic tool in your capable hands.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:09 AM   #17

OK, I tried live view and Contrast Detect AF. Everything works well - CD AF is definitely faster than on the K7 (used it once and said never again). This is actually useful. I also tried manually focusing using Live View and zooming in, that's actually quite easy and the results excellent. Though I was using the DA 35 macro and it's got such a short throw, it was hard to hit the exact spot. The old Viv I have should be a piece of cake. I'd never tried this before, I think it could be quite useful, now that I know how to do it.

The resolution and sharpness of this camera is more than the K7 so focus suddenly has become critical. Looking at more of my goose pictures, I realize f8 isn't enough dof for 300 mm - going to have to use something smaller. But with the high ISO capability, that's easy.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:55 PM   #18

Congrats on your new camera ! I'm sure this will stoke the fires even higher.

I can't wait to get mine - if I had managed to sell the K7 I'd have it already, but I'm almost there (told my wife I'd sell golf equipment and unwanted lenses etc. so I wouldn't be 'accumulating'

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:37 PM   #19

I have not read all your posts with your new camera - congratulations by the way! There have been several posts over on the Pentax Forums about finding that the K5 front focuses, especially in low light. Folks are hoping that a firmware update will rectify the problem.

Anyway, the images look wonderful as always. I was sort of wondering how long you could hold off resisting the K5. From what I have read and the images I have seen, its a wonderful camera - just too bad about the current problems. Pentax did not need these.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:52 PM   #20

I don't think it's so much low light as the focus assist lamp does a good job. It seemed like incandescent light throws off the AF sensor, especially if it's bright enough to not need the AF assist lamp. Having shot IR a bit I know that IR light focuses differently than regular lightwaves and you can't focus first and then put on the filter to shoot - it won't be focused right. Perhaps they've run across something like this, I don't know. Didn't the K7 have a separate sensor for incandescent light? I vaguely remember something about incandescent light when the K7 was released.

I'm actually talking about focusing in regular light. Now that I adjusted the DA 35, it's accurately focusing. The DA*300 seems pretty consistent and is close enough that I'm not going to change anything at the moment. But I'm getting real-world inconsistent results with the 77 for some reason - sometimes it's front focused, sometimes back focused and sometimes right on. I haven't used the DA*200, DA*50-135, DA 12-24 or DA55-300 enough to know if they are consistent or not. With the exception of the DA 35, all of my lenses looked good when shooting focus charts, including the 77. Of course, it's pretty hard to tell about focusing issues with wide lenses like the 12-24. And I don't suppose it entirely matters with the 10-17, the dof is so big.

I'm not concerned about the incandescent AF issues - I rarely shoot indoors and I can always use the K100 or K7, if need be. The camera is absolutely brilliant outdoors, the detail it captures is amazing and I'm really going to enjoy it. The only thing that bothers me is how inconsistent the 77 seems to be. Until I had shoulder problems I rarely used it, preferring the 50-135 zoom. However, since I'm only carrying a small bag I've been using the 77 and 35 macro as my main lenses, with other lenses floating through as the mood strikes me.

The exposure on this camera seems to be brighter than what I'm used to. It's funny - I more or less permanently left the K20 on EV +.3 because it consistently underexposed by about a half stop. The K7 seems to expose just how I want it to, only rarely blowing highlights (my first K7 looked like it was overexposing a bit - had been thinking about using EV -.3 before I discovered the green line and returned it). I think I'm going to use an EV -.3 on the K5 - it tends to blow highlights more than I like, and the images can take quite a bit of "pushing" before falling apart. So it's not a big deal if the shot is a bit underexposed, recovery is nothing short of amazing.