Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1

Default Today's snaps

Yesterday it was only the wind that was cold when I was taking pictures of the ducks and geese in the local county park.

Today it was a different story. The thermostat on the rear-view mirror of the Jeep gave me the temperature (K5, DA 35 macro, ISO 500 without noise reduction):

That's -2C, so for many of you, it's not much at all. But to put it in perspective, this is Southern California.

The roads weren't bad where the sun had melted the ice (K5, 77 Ltd, ISO 80):

We spent the day looking at TV sets in Bakersfield (ours has died, of course right after I bought the camera - urrr!). Patty - I wish I had thought to take a picture of the Kern River when we went over it on Coffee Rd. This was the first time I've ever seen water in it, and there was water all the way across, from bank to bank. It was impressive!

For people who aren't familiar with my little corner of the world, there's not much in my home town. We have to drive about 50 miles to any store beyond a market. There's a significant elevation difference as well as the distance. For instance, here's the view of the foothills - the start of what's locally known as the Grapevine (taken through the window while traveling at 65 mph (about 100 km/hr). K5, 77 Ltd, ISO 80.

The scenery quickly changes, this shot gives you an idea of the ruggedness of the terrain. The road climbs something like 3,000 feet (over 900 meters) in about 9 miles (15 km). K5, 77 Ltd, ISO 80.

A few miles off the freeway above the top of the Tejon Pass, the terrain is again quite different (K5, DA 55-300 at 55, ISO 80):

At home, playing with the camera. You can see that it was more sleet and some hail than snow last night. And while the roads dried off, it wasn't warm enough to melt anything in the yard. I forgot to check what focal length was put in for the SR system. This picture was taken with the Viv 105, not a 24 mm lens (K5, Viv 105 macro, ISO 80).

I promise, the deluge of shots will ease off in a couple of days, as I sort everything out. I need to put away the 77 and Viv and practice with some of my other lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:25 PM   #2

#3 is my favorite, Harriet!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:23 PM   #3

I was sort-of surprised that #3 didn't get more comments - I like it better than most of the pictures I've taken in a couple of months (well, other than a couple I took at Oceanside). I'm now thinking its not as good as I had thought.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I was sort-of surprised that #3 didn't get more comments - I like it better than most of the pictures I've taken in a couple of months (well, other than a couple I took at Oceanside). I'm now thinking its not as good as I had thought.
All of your posts are quite good, but as I was looking at this set I had the same thought, #3 really stands out. It's so good that we're all speechless!

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:20 PM   #5

superb series Harriet. #3 my favorite also, what depth in a photo!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:18 PM   #6

I love those rolling hills and the leaf shot is neat.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7

Thanks, Rodney! By the way, your flooding has made our news, hope you are out of it.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:02 PM   #8

Yep, very few times in all my years in Bakersfield was there water in that riverbed. Your third image reminds me of going over the grapevine as a kid. I used to always think it looked like someone had laid a blanket over something bumpy. It was all so smooth with the hills and valleys.

Sorry to hear your TV went. Isn't that the way it always is. Hope you found a good deal.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:05 PM   #9

Well..#3 is my favorite also..that's some beautiful country!..I love the rolling hills..we have some out here but not to that magnitude.Living on the plains we take any valley we can find..
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 5:45 PM   #10

I really like both #3 and #6. I have to agree with your assessment from one of your other posts. The sensor in the K5 seems to produce images with more something. GW said it as well as anyone by saying the K5 images have a bit more pop. I've said many times that I'm happy with my K20, but I must admit that K5 seems like a very nice rig. I'm sure I'll upgrade at some point.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote