Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:16 PM   #1

Default This software rocks!

Hi all, for Christmas my wife bought me the complete Nik software bundle for Aperture, and I can't believe how it's helped my images. Here's a few. I was going to replace my K7 with a K5, but after playing around with this package, I think I'll wait a while.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...GP1159_HDR.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...GP1151_HDR.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...P05871_HDR.jpg
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:01 AM   #2

I own Viveza, think it's absolutely brilliant, and have used the trial version of HDR Efex. I either don't have enough memory or else my settings in Lightroom aren't right for it to work with HDR Efex, my computer kept hanging up when I tried to bring the converted picture back into LR. I was really disappointed with that as I otherwise loved the program and would have liked to buy it. I probably would have gone ahead and bought the bundle for Lightroom since I don't have CS5 and HDR Efex doesn't work with CS4. I looked at their sharpener plug-in but didn't like it at all - much prefer Topaz Lab's Detail. Silver Efex was very interesting, but I can do almost (or in a couple of cases, better) just using CS4's b&w adjustment layer. I thought Color Efex (think that's the name) great fun, but couldn't figure out what I'd ever use it for. I didn't try their noise reduction plug-in because I already owned DeNoise by then.

The last one is very nice, though the reds are more saturated than I happen to like. I found that it was easy to adjust that with HDR Efex (from your file names I gather that you were using HDR Efex?). The squirrels are nice, too.

Have fun with your new software, remember to use the control points so you can selectively change parts of the picture. That's what makes the software so much fun to play with.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:17 AM   #3

I have used the Nik package for some time now, and after noise reduction its the next thing on the list. I am very happy with it, even though I have to use it in CS5 as Windows7 doesn't want to run Aperture for some reason.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many View Post
I have used the Nik package for some time now, and after noise reduction its the next thing on the list. I am very happy with it, even though I have to use it in CS5 as Windows7 doesn't want to run Aperture for some reason.
The entire bundle seems to run fine in Aperture. I love the control points especially for noise reduction. It's nice to reduce noise only in solid color areas, or shadow areas.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:17 AM   #5

I have a few Nik products : Viveza, Silver Efex Pro, Sharpener Pro & Define. I don't have any problem running any of them, except Sharpener which won't load for some reason (and I use Topaz the noise reduction program anyway now) in Aperture but the version of some of these that I have only runs in 32 bit (whereas my other plug-ins all run in 64 bit) so I don't want Aperture to have to close and re-open in 32 bit just to run the plug-ins. I do think that Define and Viveza are great programs though.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
I have a few Nik products : Viveza, Silver Efex Pro, Sharpener Pro & Define. I don't have any problem running any of them, except Sharpener which won't load for some reason (and I use Topaz the noise reduction program anyway now) in Aperture but the version of some of these that I have only runs in 32 bit (whereas my other plug-ins all run in 64 bit) so I don't want Aperture to have to close and re-open in 32 bit just to run the plug-ins. I do think that Define and Viveza are great programs though.
I had trouble with Sharpener Pro to, till I realized the link they sent me was not the current version. Download the current version and it will run fine.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:15 AM   #7

Thanks Tony ... I'll give it a try.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Thanks Tony ... I'll give it a try.
Did it work for you?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:03 PM   #9

Ha Ha - give me a chance it's New Year and the family are making demands on my time !

I'll get the update & try it out next week

Cheers !

Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:13 PM   #10

Hey Tony,
Congrats on the new software!
You photos turned out nice. on my monitor the squirrel shots look like they might have a slight green tint to them. I see nobody else mentioned it so it could be I need to recalibrate my monitor.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote