Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:43 PM   #11

Greta story well told! Now if I was your neighbour I would be looking at getting a front fork ski for that and back trax to take out the possiabilies of making to much of a cookie maker. As for the white spots ya lucky we have the most weirdest freeze up here... I took my son to school this morn and thankful I pulled the van under the car cover to save time for scrapping the minutes away.. on my way home in the drive I seen why I am so cold the whole side of the ice I noticed in the lights of the van was frozen... up on the top in the crawl space as well was iced so I know its not from having to much in my closets or up against the walls... I live in a Modular and we found out the insulation is no thick enough for this stuff... and if I am right of the direction of shift then we best look at building a warmer house soon... or we might freeze to death by next year.... Brrr I feel close top that right now.......
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:18 AM   #12

Harriet, I've had the same problem with both my DS and K20 lately, so it's not a K5 sensor issue. I think you can get a temp-ware fix by just going to the ocean, while I'll have to go to the Canary Islands to fix mine. Or just sit down and wait by the cosy fire.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:34 PM   #13

My God! My Kx has developed the same bug, turning everything white. I note that it seems to occur more often in cold weather and I heard there is a fix in Hawaii.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:22 PM   #14

That picture of Mt. Shasta is awesome! I've only seen it in real life in the summer, that picture is beautiful! This picture makes it possible to imagine that there really were glaciers on it at one time.

Kjell - Temp-ware fix, I love it! I'm getting mine today, no more excuse to miss work today. I gave the K5 a real work-out yesterday, some local birds with the 300, hiking shots with the DA 12-24 and 55-300, it was a fun time. Haven't finished processing them all. I did decide that while the DA*300 wasn't strictly speaking backfocusing, the subject tended to be at the front end of the dof, so if you used the body of a bird as a focus point, the head was almost always slightly oof so I adjusted the focus point by 1. I don't have the lens with me today so I'm not sure if it will work better or not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:32 PM   #15

Mount Shasta has several glaciers. Because of an unusual convergence of weather patterns, the glaciers are one of only a few left in a warming world that are actually growing.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:34 PM   #16

We had some of that white spot problem way down here in Savannah a few days back. Nice thing about it. It can snow so hard you think you're in a Blizzard. When it stops, you have nothing but wet ground and streets.

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:58 PM   #17

I wondered about that - whenever I've driven by (in summer) there's always some white stuff on it. Just wasn't sure the glaciers would still be there.

Eddy - snow in Savannah? Well, I suppose if it can snow in Las Vegas, it can snow in GA, too. It was cold enough up here that not much snow melted - still can't get the Honda out of the driveway without shoveling. Maybe Thursday. In the mean time we'll just drive the Wrangler, no problem.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:54 AM   #18

Wonderfully clever series, it looks so nice and cool from this hot day.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:47 AM   #19

Harriet

Nice narratives. Second what people wrote above

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
6 inches of white stuff on the ground. It's looking like I won't be able to get to work tomorrow.
Ira working in North Pole may laugh his head off indeed.
But I can see that if there is no snow plows ready in southern States, 6 inches of snow could be dangerous with a lot of reckless drivers

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:41 AM   #20

It's not so much the amount of snow as it is that too many people are clueless when it comes to driving in the stuff. Too often they'll plow the roads leaving ice and some people don't understand that they can't drive the way they normally do (80+ mph and breaking at the last minute) with their regular tires (only people who live up in the mountains would be likely to have snow tires). People who live on the hill don't worry about less than a foot of snow as far as our local roads go. "Flatlanders" (i.e., people who live at lower elevations) can go their whole lives without ever driving in snow or seeing a snowflake fall, so I-5 can quickly become blocked with 4-6 inches of snow. We ended up having a total of about a foot, enough to have fun with but not something out of the ordinary for the area. It was the snow much lower down that was surprising and what was causing complete havoc.