Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:09 PM   #11

congratulations on your new addition
i hope he/she has a long and healthy life

i was just thinking how good it could of been if my 2 kids had firmware updates hmmmmm

the zoo sounds good, looking forward to seeing the photos
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:41 AM   #12

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Today was the first chance for me to use the K5 as I took the afternoon off work to go to the zoo (zero to 3C). I found the AF was faster and more accurate (or at the very least locked on quicker with less micro-adjustments) but the most impressive aspect was the reason the bought the K5 - the high ISO.

There was one situation where if I hadn't had this ability of the K5 I would not have had a shot (i'll post the shots later) - it was in an extremely dimly lit enclosure (many of the animals were indoors due to the cold temperatures) for the Gorilla - and I shot at 12,800 (I could not use flash as he was too far back in the enclosure, behind glass, and I was shooting mainly at 300mm).
I haven't got to those shots yet in my processing workflow (I took over 500 shots today - and after reviewing I have deleted 200 so far, just 200+ shots left to review !) but from reviewing on the LCD I definitely have something to work with !

The only thing that disappointed me today (apart from a few shots with exceedingly blown-out highlights, my fault with making the wrong settings I believe) was the Sun went down far too early !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:48 AM   #13

LOL! I can imagine that would be a big frustration. How does the exposure look on your camera? I thought the K20 used to underexpose consistently, so I left the camera at Ev +.3 all the time. My first K5 seemed to blow highlights more than I wanted so I was going to leave it at Ev -.3, but returned it due to the green line. The second (and current) K7 body was how I wanted it. The K5 seems to be more like the first K7 body - there's more blown highlights so I've started leaving it at Ev -.3 or Ev -.7, depending on the situation. Since the zoo is such a difficult place to shoot in it might not be the best place to judge consistent exposure, but did you find anything along these lines? I'm curious.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:55 AM   #14

I actually usually shoot in M mode most of the time so set my own exposure settings, however I really thought the K5 would make it easy on me by utilising the TAv setting and letting the camera select the ISO, in most cases, up to 6,400.

So I started using this setting and found a lot of shots (with high contrast but with a dark subject) were hugely over-exposed, but I believe this was my fault (and so I need to experiment with this a lot more) as I used spot metering - I need to try centre or matrix to see what happens in those situations.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:31 AM   #15

I can't really say for the K5, but I experimented a bit with the highlight and shadow correction option and the general image settings to find something, that uses most of the histogram and "stays in the middle" of the dynamic range (to say so) without setting -0.3/-0.7 EV.

I saw the higher color depth (better A/D converter) and the sensor of a Canon 50D being a nice feature for highlights, that's something we won't get with Pentax at the moment. So for me - as long as I get a nice histogram I'm a happy buyer - blown out highlights or not.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Hey, I am only two generations behind, come to think of it I always seem to be two generations behind!
I'm with you. Two generations behind as I always am. I'll get the K5 just before the next new camera comes out.

Congrats on your new purchase. I'm sure you'll produce some lovely shots like you've done in the past.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:00 PM   #17

I use spot metering mainly for flowers or where there's something (stationary) that I specifically want exposed right - otherwise I'll use center weighted or matrix. It's one of those specialty things that is invaluable at certain moments but not good for every-day use.

I've been undecided about matrix vs. center weighted with with the K5, I don't see huge differences between the two settings. With an earlier camera I found the dark areas would influence the exposure too much most of the time with matrix, so hadn't used it in a long time until I got the K5. With the K5 I find that both settings tend to be more influenced by dark areas.

Do NOT use spot metering to shoot sports! I did that once and ended up with a completely over-exposed shot because one team had black tee shirts, and that's what was in front of the metering point.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:27 AM   #18

Congrats, I'm still waiting for the replacement, but for as far as I know its coming.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:49 AM   #19

Thank you Patty & Ronny (I really hope yours arrives soon - it must be so frustrating).

I had a scare this evening - a long exposure shot I was in the middle of wouldn't stop (or start actually but I didn't know that at the time), I tried everything but it kept going (or not starting even though LV had gone off and my LCD wouldn't come on again), so I switched it off and then on ..... and it went crazy firing away at full speed ! Aagh a problem - I was going to have to send it back (was the first thing I thought of).

However I then discovered that the button on my wired remote had stuck in the 'fire' position - so an embarrassed smile and having to delete 20 or so shots was the worst of it. Whew - something else I'll have to watch carefully in future

Harriet - I switched to Centre metering this evening and there was not one problem shot - although the fact that they were all long exposures may have had something to do with it !

Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:23 PM   #20

Kevin, good luck with the new camera and use it in good health. Look forward to seeing your fine photos taken with it.

A trip to Yuyuan Gardens to test it out maybe?

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote