Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:25 PM   #21

Speaking of evening, spot metering is very useful for sunsets/sunrises. Put the spot near (but not on) the brightest part of the sky, lock exposure (AE-L button), recompose and lock focus. Any other metering mode will take into account the dark areas too much and over-expose the shot, that's something I found out when shooting with my first digital camera, a Sony F717, and it holds true regardless of what camera you use.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:30 AM   #22

Thank you Lou ! Hmm yes - Yu Yuan Gardens, a major tourist trap but there are some interesting elements to it .... it you can fight your way through the hordes of people ! Maybe I'll go down there and see if I can get any decent shots.

Thank you for the tip Harriet - I've saved it for future reference and will use it at the right time.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:16 PM   #23

Hi Kevin,

Congrats!

I'm finding that I can throw out a whole bunch of the paradigms that I've established photographically over the years.

I'm finding ISO 10,000 very usable for candids of people and pets (in jpeg, with Sharpness at -4), so my DA 18-250 f3.5-6.3 has gained a new use as an indoor lens, when it had previously been relegated to outdoor only use. In fact, lens speed has become a lot less relevant for informal shooting in any situation. The fast glass has it's place, and I'll use it for greater DOF versatility and IQ, but the smaller size and lighter weight of the slower lenses sometimes makes them more desirable in a lot of situations. There are a lot of advantages to using the 18-250 for available light candids at a party. . .it's just not nearly as intimidating as the DA*50-135 or especially a 70-200/2.8, and it allows a lot more FL versatility.

I've tested my birding and macro lenses and setups with the K-5 to make sure that they play well, but have spent most of my time just playing with the high ISO and experimenting with different PP solutions to get IQ that's acceptable.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Congrats, I'm still waiting for the replacement, but for as far as I know its coming.

Hi Ronny,

I'd been wondering about this -- it seems that they are certainly taking their time. . . I think at this point, you've been more than patient, and I'd be lighting a fire under them to get something done. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Kevin,

Congrats!

I'm finding that I can throw out a whole bunch of the paradigms that I've established photographically over the years.

I'm finding ISO 10,000 very usable for candids of people and pets (in jpeg, with Sharpness at -4), so my DA 18-250 f3.5-6.3 has gained a new use as an indoor lens, when it had previously been relegated to outdoor only use. In fact, lens speed has become a lot less relevant for informal shooting in any situation. The fast glass has it's place, and I'll use it for greater DOF versatility and IQ, but the smaller size and lighter weight of the slower lenses sometimes makes them more desirable in a lot of situations. There are a lot of advantages to using the 18-250 for available light candids at a party. . .it's just not nearly as intimidating as the DA*50-135 or especially a 70-200/2.8, and it allows a lot more FL versatility.

I've tested my birding and macro lenses and setups with the K-5 to make sure that they play well, but have spent most of my time just playing with the high ISO and experimenting with different PP solutions to get IQ that's acceptable.

Scott
Thank you Scott ... and you are so right. The high ISO usability has brought a whole new & exciting level to the game. But not just that, I found that even at ISO 100 the night shots in my 'Shanghai - Xin Tian Di' thread had virtually no noise - and I have not used ANY NR in those shots in PP. Exciting times ahead and lots of older, or slower, lenses are going to get a new lease of life.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote