Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:11 PM   #21

i have never taken a photo of the blue hour before, is it fair to assume that a long shutter is necessary (w/ tripod)?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:59 PM   #22

A support of some type is nice to have, but if you use higher ISO you can get away with handholding. I took some yesterday, but it was really too early in the morning for that wonderful deep blue color. The early ones needed some support (wall, post, floor since I didn't have a tripod) but the last couple were OK handheld as it was getting light enough. None of them were anything worth-while.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:18 PM   #23

Clouds, clouds, ... and clouds. I don't know how I shall take pictures for that challenge when all I can see are some grey clouds. Darnit.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:17 PM   #24

The funny thing is that I've taken some nice blue hour pictures in the past, when my intention was to capture something entirely different (usually a building or structure of some sort). Now that I'm actually trying to get that "blue hour" look, I've been struggling. I finally admitted defeat and re-read the instructions on the page that Patty linked to. That was a help, and while I'm not totally happy with what I've come up with, at least they aren't as bad as my previous attempts. Just my experience, but setting a manual exposure is a must - the camera's meter can't figure out what you want at all.

Here's my entry - K5, DA 12-24, exposure set manually.

Taken at the marina in Oceanside (a small town north of San Diego).

I'm going to continue shooting at this time, I don't feel like I've got a handle on this at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:03 PM   #25

Yay!
An evening with just a few clouds! I was trying to get some high water shots (I'll post a few in another thread) and on my way back it was already late - so I pushed my luck standing on a bridge... 15s, f/5.6, ISO100, 18mm plastic mount kit lens, Pentax K-r. I might get a better chance later this month, but for now I'll take this one as my entry. This is the river Elbe, facing south/south-west (upriver). The two double-tower buildings are the cathedral to the left and the abbey to the right.

I had a hard time to get a non-blurred image as the bridge vibrates when a tram/streetcar passes by. Also I found, that the sun still made a difference in the sky brightness - so maybe it's best to shoot the blue hour facing away from the setting sun (or the point where it went past the horizon)? Anyway, here we go - hope you like it.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:07 PM   #26

Some amazing photos!!

Had not paid attention to blue hour - thanks Patty for "forcing" me to notice!

Spent a bit of time on a nearby snow hillside trying for some blue hour shots in several directions. This was my favorite (will post a few others separately), taken towards the lake and a nearby community called Cook's Valley:
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:23 AM   #27

Default This IS my entry

Here is a shot from this weekend's festival that I think fits the criteria, and is not post processed other than very minor cropping, resizing, and sharpening.

K10D, kit lens.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Jan 18, 2011 at 9:32 AM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:54 AM   #28

My blue Hour photo is of the Shawnee Peak Ski area in Bridgton, Maine.

It is a 9 exposure shot taken in multi exposure mode with auto EV adjust turned on. This yields a single HDR image. No HDR software was used. The K7 produced a single image from the 9 adjusted shots. The shot was taken with the K7 & SCM 35-105 3.5 Macro lens using ISO 100, 35mm, F8, 3 seconds (X9).

I made the mistake of not having my camera set to RAW; consequently I had to use Noiseware to remove the small amount of noise present in the Jpg. No in camera noise reduction was used. The only PP was a crop to express the shot as a panorama, a slight levels adjustment and sharpening.

The mountain was actively being skied but the skiers did not show up due to the multiple exposure. The tracks on the lake snow are from snowmobiles that had been racing there earlier in the day.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:31 AM   #29

cool shot lou!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:35 AM   #30

Great ski resort shot. Lovely effect on the lights.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote