Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:52 PM   #1

Default Pentax on Potential Mirrorless System & K-5

A short but interesting piece from another photography website:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11...xinterview.asp

The bad news is, it doesn't sound like anything is imminent.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:59 PM   #2

Now the uncertainty that has gripped sony forums can take over Pentax. I just today was considering dumping all my sony stuff and switching to "****" as investing in a system with no ovf future isn't what i want to do. I realized quickly i would be losing too much money so I'll do what a lot claim to be doing...sitting on system purchases for now. At least Pentax has stated they will stay in the mid and upper market.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:16 PM   #3

I don't know what to say about Sony's situation. On the one hand, I've been hearing how Pentax was going out of business even before I bought the DS. Not only haven't they gone out of business, they continue to produce outstanding cameras that certainly meet my needs. Sony, on the other hand, is a huge company and doesn't need the camera/dSLR line to survive/perform. I don't know that they'd be in the market for the long-haul. But based on my experience with Pentax, I wouldn't be in any rush to sell my Sony equipment, unless there was something I felt it couldn't do.

As far as Pentax dSLR market goes, they've done enough to convince me that they're in the market for the long haul. While I sometimes think the grass might be greener on the other side, it really isn't. The limitation with my pictures is myself and I don't think switching systems would improve my pictures at all (that's not a general statement that fits everyone, just me). I could be tempted by a mirrorless system that uses K-mount glass, but if push came to shove, I wouldn't buy one. There's enough disadvantages and there isn't a big enough gain in size/weight to make it worth giving up what I already have.

Besides, Pentax only has so much they can spend on development. If they put all their resources into developing a mirrorless system, that would mean that they would be not doing as much development on their dSLR cameras, and I'd be very unhappy about that. So I don't look at the comment that they aren't going to be bringing out a mirrorless system a negative at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:06 PM   #4

It isn't a matter that the present sony equipment i have won't do what i want. it can. far more in fact. it's the future investment in G lenses at $2K each that is questionable. and if i don't buy lenses, what do i have? Pentax is now raising the same issues. watch. There'll be plenty of hub-bub in Pentaxian forums now.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
It isn't a matter that the present sony equipment i have won't do what i want. it can. far more in fact. it's the future investment in G lenses at $2K each that is questionable. and if i don't buy lenses, what do i have? Pentax is now raising the same issues. watch. There'll be plenty of hub-bub in Pentaxian forums now.
Sorry Frank I don't see that at all.

Pentax have just brought out two new DSLRs (K5 & Kr) a superb new 645 (which can't keep up with worldwide demand for it which has taken Pentax completely by surprise), and a new lense, with a fantastic response to all of these products by media & consumers alike.

If that not only shows commitment to the future but also demand for their products then I don't know what does.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I don't know what to say about Sony's situation. On the one hand, I've been hearing how Pentax was going out of business even before I bought the DS. Not only haven't they gone out of business, they continue to produce outstanding cameras that certainly meet my needs. Sony, on the other hand, is a huge company and doesn't need the camera/dSLR line to survive/perform. I don't know that they'd be in the market for the long-haul. But based on my experience with Pentax, I wouldn't be in any rush to sell my Sony equipment, unless there was something I felt it couldn't do.

As far as Pentax dSLR market goes, they've done enough to convince me that they're in the market for the long haul. While I sometimes think the grass might be greener on the other side, it really isn't. The limitation with my pictures is myself and I don't think switching systems would improve my pictures at all (that's not a general statement that fits everyone, just me). I could be tempted by a mirrorless system that uses K-mount glass, but if push came to shove, I wouldn't buy one. There's enough disadvantages and there isn't a big enough gain in size/weight to make it worth giving up what I already have.

Besides, Pentax only has so much they can spend on development. If they put all their resources into developing a mirrorless system, that would mean that they would be not doing as much development on their dSLR cameras, and I'd be very unhappy about that. So I don't look at the comment that they aren't going to be bringing out a mirrorless system a negative at all.
I agree with every point. I also would add that I think Hoya, contrary to what many may have feared when they acquired Pentax has done a great job.

I think things have improved....now Pentax / Hoya, how about coming out with a new Pentax 400mm F 5.6....

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:33 AM   #7

I look at it this way: A mirrorless system from Pentax wouldn't replace Pentax DSLRs for me... it would serve as the proverbial "second body." If that second body is smaller and lighter than a traditional DSLR and can also use DA Limited primes, even better.

I have a small micro four-thirds system now that has its uses and is a whole lot of fun for me. But it doesn't replace my Pentax DSLR kit. And, since almost everything in my micro four-thirds system was heavily discounted (both bodies were leftovers purchased on close-out) I haven't really sunk all that much money into it - certainly not when compared to my Pentax kit. If a Pentax mirrorless system was clearly better and could use Pentax DA Limited primes, it wouldn't be that difficult to switch systems.

But it's clear Pentax is still serious about DSLRs and I plan to ultimately get a K-5 after prices come down a bit more. No hand-wringing at my house.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I look at it this way: A mirrorless system from Pentax wouldn't replace Pentax DSLRs for me... it would serve as the proverbial "second body." If that second body is smaller and lighter than a traditional DSLR and can also use DA Limited primes, even better.

I have a small micro four-thirds system now that has its uses and is a whole lot of fun for me. But it doesn't replace my Pentax DSLR kit. And, since almost everything in my micro four-thirds system was heavily discounted (both bodies were leftovers purchased on close-out) I haven't really sunk all that much money into it - certainly not when compared to my Pentax kit. If a Pentax mirrorless system was clearly better and could use Pentax DA Limited primes, it wouldn't be that difficult to switch systems.

But it's clear Pentax is still serious about DSLRs and I plan to ultimately get a K-5 after prices come down a bit more. No hand-wringing at my house.
I also wanted a second DSLR body to go with my K10D and my Pentax lenses.

I wanted relatively small and light...so I bought the smallest DSLR at the time (April '09) a Pentax KM / K2000 body.

I originally wanted to get a Canon G10, but when I checked the picture quality, as fine as a camera as a G 10 is, it still a P+S with a small sensor. The pictures didn't compare with what can be produced even with an entry DSLR, like the KM.

I wanted a smaller camera than my K10D to use a s a carry around and the fact that the KM used the same K mount...allowed me to use it as my second 'system' body.

I don't know how much smaller a mirror less, interchangeable mount Pentax body would be, compared to my relatively small, light KM.

BTW, the pix produced by the KM are great, indistinguishable from other DSLR's.

As far a small, lightweight carry around, I found the KM still too big...so I caved in and bought a small P+S.....the robust little, Pentax W90....which suits that purpose and in addition is weatherproof.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:08 PM   #9

I am definitely still interested in the mirrorless concept and have looked at both the Sony and the Olympus. Samsung has some interesting units as well, and sell their own K-mount adaptor. Will I purchase one? Perhaps, it would make an ideal vacation camera, compact but good IQ.

Right now I have a K20D on which I mounted the vertical grip and a K10D which is now my "compact " model since I removed the grip. My wife Annette has a K100D Super which is lighter and more convenient but still a little bulky for city holidays where you want to be a little less conspicuous. I would like to see one with the Pentax brand.

As for SONY, I think that the new A33, A55 twins have pointed the direction for their DSLRs, the fixed mirror EVF combo has given them the ultimate video slr since it allows for SLR focusing with live view and video, something no-one else has right now. That and the NEX series may be their future direction, leaving the high end market as it is for now (I was never very good at future forecasting so this may be way off).
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I don't know how much smaller a mirrorless, interchangeable mount Pentax body would be, compared to my relatively small, light KM.
This sums it all up, Les. You're exactly right and we'll just have to wait and see.