Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:21 PM   #11

Thanks everyone. I had wanted to try to capture him flying off, but he was gone when I went back. My husband said he saw him fly off towards our neighbors house. We haven't seen him today. And, the squirrels were making racket in the attic again this morning.

We've had owls off and on over the years. We can hear them at night whooshing through the air when we have the windows open in the summer time. But, never seen one day or night. It was amazing that he not only showed up during daylight, but was positioned at a level we could get him and so close. Probably never again.

Harriet - Hope you get rid of the mice. They aren't nice to have either. We've had our share of them, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:13 PM   #12

thats a pretty cool looking owl
so if the squirrels dont like it
would a mock one or a photo of one keep them out of the attic?

as for attracting birds to the garden i have 2 bird baths and bushes and small trees that the birds like, either for the flowers, seeds, or insects that are attracted
find out what your birds like, it helps
i have seen a couple of boobook owls in the wild, but they are not as impressive as this one
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:47 AM   #13

Patty - Amazing how well you captured him/her through all that glass! We have plenty of Barred Owls in our park, hear them often, see them only when it's too dark to photograph them (except of course for the one that lives in a big cage next to my office...). Sure do hope you get some more chances to enjoy (and photograph) your feathered neighbor!

Kevin - Not sure about your birds, but ours that visit the feeder seem to like the small black sunflower seeds better than anything else - high in fat & protien content. Finches seem to prefer Niger seed (requires a special feeder with small holes). You might also try suet or peanut butter...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:44 PM   #14

My first attempt at trapping the mice didn't work. Used a stick-em trap baited with peanut butter. They sure liked that, but the sticky didn't work, they managed to leave no problem. So next step is the snapping kind of trap, I guess.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Kevin - Not sure about your birds, but ours that visit the feeder seem to like the small black sunflower seeds better than anything else - high in fat & protien content. Finches seem to prefer Niger seed (requires a special feeder with small holes). You might also try suet or peanut butter...
Well not going so well so far ... but at least my dog has not tried to jump up or interfere with them ! Even if birds are at the top of the trees in our garden (about 50' or 15M high) she still tries to catch them if she sees them - very funny to watch

I have peanuts, barley, corn and sunflower seeds in them but after almost a week I've not seen a single bird on them ..... in fact they now seem to have considered my garden a danger zone and are ignoring it completely !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:20 AM   #16

Thanks, John and mole. We haven't seen him again since. But, the squirrels aren't there every morning like they were. So, I think he's still around. That's an idea about tricking the squirrels.

Yep, black sunflower seeds work great to attract the birds. (And, the squirrels unfortunately.)

Harriet - They use those sticky traps under our desks at work. They didn't tell us when they started doing it and we kept hearing this noise under our desks and when we looked we freaked at what we saw. They had caught three the first night. I'm surprised they didn't stick. Those things are very sticky.

Hope you find something that works.

Frogfish - Don't give up. They'll come eventually. We had put seed out and it took about a month for them to start coming around. Maybe they know you are watching for them with your new camera. They're camera shy!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post

I have peanuts, barley, corn and sunflower seeds in them but after almost a week I've not seen a single bird on them
You may need more smaller seeds (millet, rapeseed, etc.)- if commercial bird food mixes are available where you live (sold here in feed stores, pet supply stores, supermarkets), you should try those.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
You may need more smaller seeds (millet, rapeseed, etc.)- if commercial bird food mixes are available where you live (sold here in feed stores, pet supply stores, supermarkets), you should try those.
I daren't tell the Chinese the seeds / grain I'm buying are for wild bird food - they'd die laughing ! Crazy foreigner. However the Chinese love their caged songbirds - I just haven't been down to the Bird & Fish market in a while (hmm 'photo op') .

Actually the barley, corn and something else (I've forgotten what I bought and can't figure out the Chinese characters) are all really small seeds. I thought I'd put a mixture of sizes out there for all the birds.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote