Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:46 PM   #1

Default I bought a Canon, will you forgive me ?

Today I bought my first Canon, a G12.

I won't be getting rid of my K10D, KM/2000 and multitude of Pentax lenses....in fact I would eventually like to get a K5.

I'm a fan of Pentax SLR / DSLR and have been since I bought my first SLR...a Pentax S1a, which I still have, it still works....has film in the body...never know when you want to use a 40 + year old camera.

I have always found the Canon G series to have an appeal...ability to manually set camera, the outer controls, the reputation, the look...sort of like a Leica Rangefinder.

Maybe my next step will be to get some appropriate camera wear...I'm thinking a Pentax logo ball cap, with a Canon logo T-shirt.

What do you think ?

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:54 PM   #2

My sister uses a Canon, my brother uses an Olympus, and my mother has a Kodak, and I still talk to them, so I guess we're OK.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:58 PM   #3

Lots of folks have dSLR and p&s cameras, different horses for different courses.

You would certainly get some strange looks if you ventured out with a Pentax cap and Canon t-shirt though. It would be like going to the annual USC/UCLA football game with a shirt that was half red and gold (Trojan colors) and half blue and gold (Bruin colors). You'd get killed by both sets of fans.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:16 PM   #4

that is a sin to mix red and gold with the blue and gold. Red and Gold all the way, I admit it, I am a alumni of the red and gold.

But nothing wrong with mixing multi lens system either. I shoot oly, pentax, and canon multi lens system, and it should not matter much. I even shoot a pns, Rollei. So it is all good.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:25 PM   #5

It isn't an SLR, you are forgiven. I am still looking at the better point and shoot models as a possible "pocket" camera.Function comes before brand loyalty, Pentax has nothing in the G12's category right now.

If it was an SLR you would still be in the clear, I shot Pentax and Minolta in my film days and I am still looking at getting a Sony Alfa some day to break out my great Minolta lenses (the super sharp 35-70mm f4, the exemplary 50mm f1.7 and the "beer can" the 70-210mm f4).
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Lots of folks have dSLR and p&s cameras, different horses for different courses.

You would certainly get some strange looks if you ventured out with a Pentax cap and Canon t-shirt though. It would be like going to the annual USC/UCLA football game with a shirt that was half red and gold (Trojan colors) and half blue and gold (Bruin colors). You'd get killed by both sets of fans.
I got the idea from a buddy of mine who is a hot rodder.

He and his son have two collectible Mustangs , a Chevy Nova with a racy 406 cube V8 and a Oldsmobile racing car.

When my friend (older one) goes to a car show, oft times he's got a Ford rodder's jacket on topped by a Chevy Ball Cap...think the Chevy ball cap has some 'offensive' logo aimed at Fords.

He has a lot of fun with some of the looks that go his way...probably a good thing that he's a big guy.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
It isn't an SLR, you are forgiven. I am still looking at the better point and shoot models as a possible "pocket" camera.Function comes before brand loyalty, Pentax has nothing in the G12's category right now.

That was a big part of it...I didn't feel my favourite brand, Pentax had a competitor for the G12 P+S.

If it was an SLR you would still be in the clear, I shot Pentax and Minolta in my film days and I am still looking at getting a Sony Alfa some day to break out my great Minolta lenses (the super sharp 35-70mm f4, the exemplary 50mm f1.7 and the "beer can" the 70-210mm f4).
I wouldn't mind having a new Leica digital rangefinder...but my budget would never allow it.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:37 PM   #8

Hi Les,

I've been tempted to get a Canon G11 or G12. The IQ seems to be great for a small sensored camera, and it has an optical viewfinder, though it's got limited usefulness. The thing I like most about it is that it has an E-TTL hotshoe, and Canon makes that very small tilit head external flash, the 270 EX. It's small enough to be pocketable, a bit more powerful than the onboard flash, and not much more than $100.

I think you made a good choice. It'll give you a nice compact alternative to your DSLRs.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
My sister uses a Canon, my brother uses an Olympus, and my mother has a Kodak, and I still talk to them, so I guess we're OK.

brian
I've friends that have Nikon, Canon, Pentax....no Olympus or Sony though....I think I need to expand my circle of friends.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Les,

I've been tempted to get a Canon G11 or G12. The IQ seems to be great for a small sensored camera, and it has an optical viewfinder, though it's got limited usefulness. The thing I like most about it is that it has an E-TTL hotshoe, and Canon makes that very small tilit head external flash, the 270 EX. It's small enough to be pocketable, a bit more powerful than the onboard flash, and not much more than $100.Funny you should mention that...I was checking out that small Canon flash at the camera dealer...but in Canada it was going for about $ 150 ...unfortunately this price disparity is not unusual....but I do like that little flash....thinking...maybe I will ask for it for my birthday.

I think you made a good choice. It'll give you a nice compact alternative to your DSLRs.
Scott

Thanks, I plan to use it as daily carry around camera...I do like the ability to manually set controls via knobs and settings outside the G12. I will keep using the K10D and KM/2000 for more serious photography.
I really miss not having a camera when I'm out doing errands, etc....as you never know.