Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:14 AM   #1

Default Best deal on Pentax K-x?

Hi Friends,

After spending lots of days reading reviews, checking sample images here and all over the internet, I have finally decided to buy Pentax K-x with 18-55 and 55-300 mm lenses from Amazon.

But I read somewhere that mid-late January is the time when prices of cameras drop because of new launches during CES. Is this really true? Is it worth waiting a month or so before I take the plunge? A discount between 50 to 100 USD would make a lot of difference to me.

Is there any other online or brick-mortar shop reseller who will give me a better deal on Pentax K-x? I'll be making the purchase in states but as I'm not very familiar with local shops etc, I don't know which is the best place to buy DSLRs.
ronakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:01 PM   #2

I saw the Pentax KX with Pentax 18-55mm was down to $(US)470.00 at www.buydig.com

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the pointer. I haven't searched anywhere except amazon. Right now the price for camera + two kit lenses I have mentioned is USD 639 @ buydig.com.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/basket.as...55300K,&&qty=1

It is USD 649 @ amazon. I have some very good past experiences of buying from amazon, so for this minor different I'd better stick to amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

I'll be landing in US late this month, so I don't know if I should order it right now so that I get it as soon as I reach there or go to some local shops and check out the prices.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:07 PM   #4

Don't Amazon have specials on from time to time ? And as now is going to be the worst time for sales it is therefore the best time for special offers. I'd hang on and keep a beady eye on Amazon - don't they have a feature you can set up whereby they'll email you if the price reaches your target ?

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
I'd hang on and keep a beady eye on Amazon
I have been keeping an eye on those prices for a week now. Nothing is moving. I'll wait till Jan end, else will just go ahead with current prices.

Quote:
don't they have a feature you can set up whereby they'll email you if the price reaches your target ?
Not that I'm aware of.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:54 PM   #6

Hey, ronakg.
First, Welcome to the forum. This is one of the best places to hang out if you are a Pentax owner!

Don't get in too big of a hurry unless you really have to have it right away. I bought my first dlsr in Feb 08, a month later the price dropped another $150! One other thing I thought I'd mention is, B&H Photo and Adorama Camera, are both places I have done business with over the years and I can highly recommend them both.

Good luck and most importantly... Have Fun!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:15 PM   #7

DSLR cameras aren't usually announced at CES. Pentax announced their latest dslr cameras (K5 and Kr) a couple of months ago, so I think the Kx prices (last year's model, but still a current camera) are pretty stable. I don't think they will fall much further. I expect that the new Kr will fall by spring (March?) or perhaps earlier. But I don't think the Kx will fall much more (other than for a special). Now that I've said that, watch the prices fall next week (I'm really no good at predicting prices).

Not many brick and mortar stores carry Pentax in-stock any more - there's only 1 store (local chain) that carries them in the L.A./SoCal area. So it depends on where you are going (if New York, no problem - visit B&H).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:34 PM   #8

Hi ronakg and welcome to the forum.

I bout my K-x last year from B&H for 500$ free shipping with the 18-55mm

K-x 18-55mm 55-300mm

AMAZON:
PRICE: $ 649
Shipping ???

B&H:
PRICE:$ 679.95
FREE SHIPPING

In Google search type in Pentax K-x and click on Shopping result for Pentax K-x, then click on the link with the camera and kit lenses. It will show you the different prices. you need to check them, because they are not updated.

Regards

....Sarah Joyce, nice to hear from you....
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken

Last edited by Zuken; Jan 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM.
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:07 PM   #9

Abes of Maine has them for 479 with kit lens, That's where I bought my K2000

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:06 PM   #10

I have bought equipment from Amazon, B&H, and Adorama. I have always been very pleased with the good service all three companies provide.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote