Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Shooting Wedding with K7

Hi all, a friend of ours wants me to shoot her wedding. She's not looking for anything professional, just decent photo's. It will be a very small wedding,60 people if everyone shows up. I know I will need a hot shoe flash, and wondered if the Pentax AF360 would suffice?
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:04 PM   #2

All I can say is be very careful Tony .... she may not want to spend a lot but this is (hopefully) a 'once in a lifetime' for her and her expectations may be higher than you realise or she imagines, it's a good way to lose friends.

If you really insist on going ahead and doing it you will need a powerful flash to bounce off the walls, ceilings etc. as they may be high, and remember when the vows are being taken you shouldn't be 'flashing' which means very fast lenses and high ISO but - the K7 is not a low light beast, other than that you'll be shooting with flash a lot.

Personally I'd rather be there as a #2 than take the responsibility.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:06 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I'm always really concerned in these situations as I've heard it many times before. At the moment they might not be too concerned about the shots but I'm sure after, if the photos are not overly good, then they will likely wish they had been more focused on what they would get. I'm not too aware of your shooting experience with people, especially those on one of the most important days of their lives.

Getting on to the flash, I would go with something with more grunt and something that rotates as well as has vertical bounce.

As it seems you would be the official photographer if you said yes, you would also want a backup body, backup lenses for the essential focal lengths and backup flash. The minimum is 2 of everything you can't shoot without. I was fortunate that I hadn't had anything go wrong at a wedding until the end of last year when my main lens had an aperture issue so wouldn't allow the camera to fire. I just picked up the backup and kept shooting. Without that they would have had no shots for the ceremony or reception (the formals were done prior to the wedding which is when it died).

If you don't think you have the experience or kit to do the wedding justice then I've seen some pretty cool things done. My fave is for someone to collate all photos from a group of shooters who between them will likely not miss anything.

I'm giving this advice as there would be nothing worse than a friendship being damaged due to photos going wrong as well as a B&G not getting good memories of their day.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:27 PM   #4

I'm sure I can give her decent results, but your probably right. I know this is the second wedding for her, and she's not really a picky person, but it may be best to stay out if it.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:28 PM   #5

Hey Tony,
That's good advice... been there, done that.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:29 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
I'm sure I can give her decent results, but your probably right. I know this is the second wedding for her, and she's not really a picky person, but it may be best to stay out if it.
If you have the experience and are sure you can do it then do it, but make sure you have the backup kit. If you have doubts then best to get some others on board or another solution that protects yourself.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:36 PM   #7

The Only Way I allowed a Friend, one I have known since high school, take photos of my wedding is that I knew he Is a Professional Wedding photographer (worked with him on a few shoots) and knew he could do a great job. I knew I wouldn't lose friendship over it...no matter how picky I am.
I also Did receive a lot of great photos from friends that helped round out the day.
Ah, but, his equipment was better.

Now, I have been at weddings more recently where I have have been a guest photographer...and got some of the greatest photos...since I was not 'staging' people and used a longer zoom or was just hanging out with others.
I was using my Sony H50 then. 9.1 mp. Also did some while the bride got ready, etc. since the 'real' photographer with the canon hadn't gotten there yet. Was my nephews wedding...great wedding, wine country, great food, wine, weather, people.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:26 PM   #8

I used to do weddings back in the 70's, Did some for friends, all I can say you will not enjoy the event. You can't sit with friends, drink, or get into conversations because that will distract you from your primary responsibility. Pass and enjoy the day
Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:12 PM   #9

I shot a wedding once, 30 years ago. Never again. My pictures were ok.

But I didn't enjoy it at all.

Always a concern if your pictures don't turn out or if the bride and groom don't like them.

Could be the end of a beautiful friendship.

I've been asked to take wedding pictures since then, but always refer them to a wedding photographer.

In fact when we got married, we used the services of a long time, established wedding photographer, not one of my buddies who happens to have good camera equipment, like your Pentax K7, Nikon D300S, Canon 7D

The equipment a buddy may have maybe similar to what a pro uses...but wedding photography is a whole other thing.
You have to know what mini events within the event to shoot, which lens...flash...settings to use.

There are no opportunities for re-takes. You just get one chance and you better get the shot.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jan 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:14 PM   #10

Be afraid... be very afraid... Actually I have done many weddings and haven't had any major issues, but it is very stressful. My wedding samples are at my website, http://aicphotography.tripod.com/weddings/index.html if that helps any. I am NOT a professional wedding photographer but I do one or two every year when asked.

BTW I had to shoot my sister in law's wedding the day our second son decided to be born, the pictures were not up to my usual standard but I was forgiven.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses