Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1

Default Snowy Egret and Friends

We went to Sea World today. The first exhibit we visited was where you can feed the sea lions. All around the enclosure were these interlopers, trying to steal the fish people throw to the regular inhabitants (the first picture I take at a fish place happens to be a bird!).

The Snowy Egret was perched on a rock very close to this fellow, looking for a hand-out:

The flamingos were really brightly colored. I need to look at this on my home monitor (I'm using the laptop and its been too long since I calibrated it), I didn't add any saturation but it looks too over-the-top on this computer.

One can't go to Sea World without going to see Shamu. These were taken by Dan using the K7 and DA 55-300:

If you sit in the lower seats, you WILL get wet.

There's also a number of exhibits. We barely scratched the surface of them, there's fresh water and salt water. Large and small fish. Here's one from the fresh water aquarium exhibit, a familiar fish for anyone who's had their own aquarium. This one was much bigger than the one I had in my 20 gallon tank though.

We had a good time, though we barely scratched the surface of the various exhibits. We'll go again sometime, but it won't be in June, July and August. It was sort-of an off day today (its not a holiday for everyone) and I'd hate to visit when there's a real crowd.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:55 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Excellent IQ on all of these: color, contrast and sharpness. I love the composition on the flamingos! Perfect exposure on the Egret as well.

I got a back stage tour of Sea World in San Antonio a few years back...it was interesting to learn about the inner workings, especially the show.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:18 AM   #3

Love the egret! Awesome shots!!!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:06 PM   #4

I'm still not so sure about the color on the flamingos, it just looks too intense for my taste. I may still go back and take out some saturation. I normally leave the cameras set to natural, but I was playing around some with the K7 and put it on bright. Forgot it was on that when I gave it to Dan for the weekend, and the blues came out a bit overcooked. They aren't bad, but I changed the camera back to natural after looking at the Sea World pictures.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:04 AM   #5

All excellent shots. The flamingoes look very orange on my Mac - but there is a lot of variation in the colouring - it's all about what they eat, they assume the colouring from the shrimps they feed on. Maybe they are fed a particularly bright variety in Sea World.

Your pics bring back some great memories - we took our daughter to Florida when she was about 6 yrs old and she absolutely loved Sea World, a wonderful holiday for all of us !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:24 AM   #6

Super series Harriet,
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:19 PM   #7

Sea World is a fun place, and you did well, but the flamingos are oversaturated - Even though they can vary in intensity in captivity, it's usually on the paler side, due to insufficient carotenoids in their dietI have seen a lot of them (including several on this monitor), and never that bright. The color is freshest after the molt, and can fade during the year, since the pigments are deposited when the feather is formed. That is a great shot, but there is always one that has to be different and breaks the symmetry, isn't there?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:59 PM   #8

I like the pictures...the one I really like though, is the Flamingo pictures.

I find myself drawn to the symmetry of the curving necks...curves in unison..... a fascinating pattern.

In fact two of them are aligned as if they were eyeglass frames....they remind me of something that comedian, Dame Edna would wear.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:43 PM   #9

Wonderfully sharp and detailed photo and great colors.
Dan is holding his own with the K-7 too!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:28 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback on the flamingos - when I get home (I'm still on vacation) I'll take some of the saturation out. I think the K5, which is otherwise very good with its colors, doesn't handle that particular color all that well.

Dan has been doing all right with the K7. I leave the camera set to P and let him snap away. He doesn't have a lean like I do, and he's not concerned with aperture, though he learned about shutter speed and camera shake at the aquarium. The K7/DA 55-300 was not a good combination for the aquarium.

This vacation has been fun - we just spent a couple of days downhill from Oceanside, in a totally different world. Took a ton of pictures, so more to come on that in a different thread.