Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1

Default My k100d super just arrived....

So, I am new to this particular forum thread, but hope to be back once I figure out my new-old camera. Actually I took it out of the box and took some test shots right away--and I'm impressed so far! The camera seems very intuitive to use, and fairly easy to use; Although I thought I had forgotten everything I once knew about slr photography, it started coming back as I worked with the camera. I like how it feels in the hands and it seems very solid. So far, so good....

I was, however, concerned when the camera "thunked" loudly every time I turned it on! Good thing I did a google search and discovered the camera was set to shake off the dust on the sensor on every power up..... Turned that off, and it's as quiet as a mouse now.

BTW, how often should I activate the mechanism to keep dust from collecting?

Thanks!
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc654 View Post
So, I am new to this particular forum thread, but hope to be back once I figure out my new-old camera.welcome to the forum Actually I took it out of the box and took some test shots right away--and I'm impressed so far! K100D Super is a very good cameraThe camera seems very intuitive to use, and fairly easy to use; Although I thought I had forgotten everything I once knew about slr photography, it started coming back as I worked with the camera. I like how it feels in the hands and it seems very solid. So far, so good....

I was, however, concerned when the camera "thunked" loudly every time I turned it on! Good thing I did a google search and discovered the camera was set to shake off the dust on the sensor on every power up..... Turned that off, and it's as quiet as a mouse now.

BTW, how often should I activate the mechanism to keep dust from collecting?

Thanks!
My K10D...sort of the big brother to the K100D Super has the same anti dust mechanism and makes the same sound...normal as far as I know. I leave it on all the time, so dust has less of a chance to settle and get stuck to the sensor...so every time I turn it on...it thunks and shakes the sensor.

I've had the K10D for 3 years +...so far all is ok. But someone else may have a different view.
Enjoy your new Pentax.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:24 PM   #3

Welcome, I love my K100d and still use it, it is a great camera. K100D did not have a sensor shaker so dust was more of a problem.

My K7 has a sensor shake and I leave it on all the time. I have never had a dust problem since using it and I change lenses often. I feel it is better to leave it on than forget and change the lens and forget to put it on and get dust stuck on the sensor.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:19 PM   #4

I'm another that still uses a K100 D (non-super model). I'm careful about changing lenses (though I do it all the time), using two hands and not letting the bare camera be uncovered for more than an instant. I don't have a lot of problem with dust and what I do have, I've been able to shift it using a rocket blower every so often. I wouldn't worry about using the anti-dust mechanism on any type of regular basis, only when you notice you are getting dust spots on your pictures. If I don't notice the dust I don't worry about it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm another that still uses a K100 D (non-super model). I'm careful about changing lenses (though I do it all the time), using two hands and not letting the bare camera be uncovered for more than an instant. I don't have a lot of problem with dust and what I do have, I've been able to shift it using a rocket blower every so often. I wouldn't worry about using the anti-dust mechanism on any type of regular basis, only when you notice you are getting dust spots on your pictures. If I don't notice the dust I don't worry about it.
Hi amc654,

Congrats on the K100 DS. I think that you'll like your choice. The 6MP Sony sensor is a classic, in my book.

I'm pretty much with Harriet about dust and if I can't see any, then I don't bother with it. However. . . I'm not nearly as meticulous with my lens changes, and if I've left the body open for what I consider longer than usual (5-10 seconds), or if it's windy or there might be dust blowing, then I'll activate the dust "shaker" a few times before I resume shooting.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:57 PM   #6

Hi there, Anne-

I see you have already received a number of welcoming and helping messages. That is just the kind of Forum this is! Friendliness and helping seem to be the hallmarks of the Forum.

I am delighted to hear that your new/old camera (the K100D Super) has arrived and that you had already done some research on your new baby, so that you could jump right in, and begin taking photos.

Again, welcome, and make yourself comfortable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:39 PM   #7

Thank you all! I'm glad to be here. Of course, it's somewhat nerves-inducing to buy a camera you've never used, but with your reassurances here, and the pre-purchase comments in the "What do I buy" thread, I'm feeling very good about my decision. (I also have an Olympus E-510 on its way to me, but I'm 99.999% sure I'll keep the k100ds and sell the other--can't keep them both, though I'm tempted.)

Tomorrow I put the camera through as many of its paces as I am technically capable of at this point.... I'm sure it'll be quite some time before I can use all the features and know halfway what I'm doing--but I'll get there. Eventually. I'm going to shoot some product for business, so it'll be interesting to see how good the color reproduction is, assuming I set the white balance properly. LOL!
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:44 PM   #8

I have a K10D, which was used when I got it, I just purchased a used K20D, and before these I had a used *ist DS, all served me well (although the DS was stolen from my son who now has the *istDL that was purchased new). I gave my wife a brand new K100D Super a couple of years ago, and I must agree with Scott, the 6MP Sony sensor in that camera is like the Kodachrome of the digital world, a true classic with enough resolution for most purposes, excellent high ISO performance and marvelously compact but rich RAW files.

You may ask why I don't take the K100 and give my wife the K10, because I am spoiled by the speed and durability of the bigger model, not its image quality (the K100D will usually get a better image).

I would leave the dust shaker on, my K10D is very high mileage at nearly 40000 shutter actuations and I have never turned that feature off. It does help keep dust off, I had to clean the DS and DL regularly, I seldom have to touch the K100D Super, the K10D or the K20D (although the K20D is my "new" camera so I haven't really gotten to know it yet.

A good choice.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:44 AM   #9

Can't add any useful information here, just a congratulations on your new camera, and looking forward to seeing your great photos with it!

PS - I used to leave the "shaker" turned on, then tried leaving it off. Did not see much difference in lack of dust - but I do tend to take photos in rather dusty places, and do have to clean the sensor at least once a month... Maybe I should turn it back on again...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote