Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:49 PM   #11

Mole, great shots of the falls. My favorite is #3. Nice detail and good use of the rule of thirds. I like the pines that add color and the exposure is perfect on both the Ice and water.

I think of your falls shots often now as I will be at Iguazu Falls next month. I do not have a ND filter so will be relying on tripod and multi exposure shooting to try and slow the falls. I will use a CP filter to slow things down a little and will use ISO 100 and perhaps 6 exposures at 1 second each @ f 4 and see what that brings and make adjustments after I review the histogram.

Iguazu Falls poses many problems as I will be shooting a waterfall that is 1.7 miles long with two levels. In flood it passes 3.4 million gallons/second, so just keeping the lens face dry could be a challenge. I could also be in full equatorial sun. If I luck out and get a cloudy day I will consider myself blessed.

Any suggestions or input you may have would be welcomed as I think your falls shots are awesome.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:17 AM   #12

These are lovely, that first moss picture is lovely. I prefer the third falls picture, with the little more green. I like it's contrast compared to the mostly frozen falls.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:21 AM   #13

Beautiful shots,Mole! I really like the second falls photo..especially with the rocks in the foreground.To me it makes the falls "jump out" at you!
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:31 AM   #14

Beautiful, Mole!
Makes me wanna just strip and jump right in for a nice invigorating swim...

... NOT!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:39 AM   #15

Lou - sounds like a great opportunity, and quite a challenge. Far beyond any of my experience... You have a good plan (my K-M does not allow for multiple exposures, but have heard that it can work well). With that much flow, a 1 second exposure might be long enjough in itself. You might also want to try some shorter exposures - sometimes the "stop action" effect looks good on major waterfalls too. Do you know which compass direction the falls face? For example, if it's an east-facing falls, you'd want to get there as late in the evening as possible, to avoid morning sun... As far as keeping the front of the lens and filter from getting splashed, I usually bring along a ziploc bag to hold over things between shots, and also a clean cloth to wipe off all those drops!!

Harriet - Thanks for your kind and helpful comments!

Kashka - Thanks so much for the very helpful input!

GW - I'll meet you there, and will be glad to hold your towel for you.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:56 PM   #16

Great series Mole. They make me homesick. I lived in Eastern TN for a year in 2008/09.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:33 AM   #17

Bob - Glad you enjoyed these, and that they brought back good memories. Be sure to look me up if you are ever back visiting!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:55 PM   #18

Our furnace has been out for a week (it gets replaced tomorrow if all goes well), so you will forgive me if I find these images too chilling! Maybe next week I'll appreciate them more!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote