Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:05 AM   #1

Default Another frozen waterfall

Have posted photos here before of one of East Tennessee's most picturesque waterfall - Laurel Falls. It's in the midst of Pond Mountain Wilderness area, not far from Hampton TN. Usually we hike in from Dennis Cove, but yesterday had only a short time to visit, so hiked in the lower way on the Blueline trail from Hampton.

The nice part about the Blueline trail is that it does stay close to Laurel Fork most of the way, which makes for some pretty views of the wintry stream.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:07 AM   #2

Camera had to stay in the pack most of this little (5 mile) hike, because it was raining rather hard, and the trail was slick with old packed snow. But did notice how the cold and damp has been really good for the mosses:
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:09 AM   #3

Arrived safely at the falls, to find plenty of flow and much still frozen. Have had a hard time getting both the ice and the water exposed properly this winter at various frozen falls, but think that these came out a bit better. What do you think?
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:10 AM   #4

Rain got heavier, and trail slicker on the way back, so no more photos. But will plan to return in early spring, as this is a great place for early wildflowers!

Hope you enjoyed the quick visit, and will share your comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:31 AM   #5

I really like shots taken from unusual angles. Like your final low level pic. Thanks for taking the hike and bringing some home to us.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:54 AM   #6

I really like the greenery shots, and the 2nd shot of the frozen falls--I like both the deeper perspective, and it looks to be the best exposure off all the falls shots. Also, agree with frank-in-toronto on the last one--very interesting!

It looks like a very beautiful spot to hike--looking forward to pics in the spring!
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:12 AM   #7

As always great shots, Nice to see what the K2000 / Km can do, think I will keep mine a little longer seems the limiting factor in my case is still me, great compositions

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:06 AM   #8

Beautiful shots!!!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:07 AM   #9

Magnificent series (as always)

thanks for posting them

Ronny
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:20 AM   #10

Frank - Thanks for your very kind words - glad you enjoyed these! It is fun to try different perspectives...

AMC - Thanks for the very helpful feedback! I do hope to get back this spring, but we have so many beautiful places to explore, and spring is too short. You should come visit and check it out for me!!

Hans - K-m/K2000 is a great camera - all that I need (or can afford!) at this time. You do some great work with yours too!

Eddie - Thanks so much!

Ronny - And thanks for looking & commenting!!