Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:27 PM   #1

Default the flood is here

Looks like the estimated flood maximum hits us this night, we've got 6.28m water level at the moment where around 2-2.50m is average and it can go down to 1-1,50m in a hot summer. The weir is open, so we only get around 2/3 of the water directly in the city, which is still more than we need/want.

I've got some images for you - the "daylight" pics are from this Sunday around 3pm, the "evening" pics from today, around 5pm. It was already quite dark today, so the image quality isn't that great - sorry. I tried to find "matching" images to give you kind of a before/after impression.

Here we go...

#1 the bridge
This is where I'll start the journey. Bigger ships can't pass the bridge now. You can see a small mark on the bridge pillar (right side) in both images to see the difference. While this looks mostly harmless, watch the next images.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Jan 19, 2011 at 4:20 PM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:33 PM   #2

#2 Looking down-stream
Normally the river flows only LEFT of these trees in the image center, they grow on the bank/shore close to the border of the river. The whole area right of them is covered with grass and serves as kind of a "buffer" in case the water level rises. Well... it did.
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:54 PM   #3

#3 Looking up-stream
The water invaded a nearby park. Ways/paths and the riverwalk vanished. Even the difference from Sunday to today is very visible here... hint: watch the bushes to the left in the Sunday image. Also in the Sunday image you can see one of the two riverwalks already partly flooded.
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:02 PM   #4

#4 at the other side...
is a bigger park and here you can see the very same situation.

#5 Pond at it's limit
Just a short walk and you can find a pond. I couldn't take the image from the same position as I wanted to keep my feet dry And no - there isn't another wall to keep the water away. 30-40cm more and guess what happens to the area to the left...

Scary, isn't it?
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:14 PM   #5

Great pictures and I hope not to much damage.

Ronny
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:20 PM   #6

#6 time to leave
The same situation at the river side: you can see how close the water is to the road.

#7 Swimming restaurant
Actually that ship serves as a restaurant and it wasn't really planned that it would swim again - but they said in the news today, that there is enough water already under it's bottom. I don't know if they still serve food inside - but outside everything is flooded and unusable.

#8 a last look
This is the park, that you can see in #3 at the right side - about 100-150m away from the riverside. You can also get a feeling, how dark it really was when I took the images. Some were postprocessed more than I usual do...

Well, that's it. Thanks for watching and lets hope the dikes will stand strong and the water level will fall to a lower level soon. We don't have a situation like in Brisbane here, but there are enough people with houses partly flooded already in some areas.

Kind regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great pictures and I hope not to much damage.

Ronny
Thank you

Well - we are kinda used to a high water level at certain times of the year, so at the moment the city and the nearby areas are "controlled flooded" to say so, but it really shouldn't get much higher now (the water level) or we have to start to pile sand sacks in the city

According to official statements the maximum water level is around what we have now, so we cross fingers and think "hey - it could have been worse".

The real problem is still ahead: if the snow melts we might get A LOT more water on top . So far nothing of that in the foreseeable future, though.

Th.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:38 PM   #8

thkn-

Thanks for keeping us updated. You did a great job recording the flooding. Like Ronnie, I hope that damage is minimized.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:42 PM   #9

Again a nice photo documentary of the flooding in your part of the world. The pictures are great.

It seems like Mother Nature has some pent up water she need to deposit on the planet. Unfortunately the way it is being distributed is quite uneven. Let's hope that she is finished.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:17 PM   #10

Thank you, Sarah and Lou!

The water level went down a bit (from a maximum of 6.28m to 6.06m right now) as the flood move on down-stream. So far mostly farm and garden land was flooded, some harbor areas, basements got wet from ground water and so on. Material damage, but no personal injuries as far as I know.

If time/weather permits, I plan to visit some other nearby areas and see for myself. Hard to do that at working days at the moment (you go to work when it's dark and go home when it's dark...)

Kind regards,
Th.